Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I Hate Me Some Deer

Yes. You may turn me in to PETA now. I don't care....well maybe a little. But those darn deer are eating my plants as fast as they can grow. Usually I spray everything down with a product called Liquid Fence but because of all the rain around this area it just washes it off. In the past the deer would begin eating things a little later in the season, more towards summer.  In the spring there is always so much vegetation so why do they think they need to come right up to the house and eat these?

These day lilies will come out of it and produce lots of green leaves but no flowers now. 

But sorry to say these hostas will not come out of it.

Yes I know we could get a dog but it would be home alone all day long without a potty break so that is out. I wonder if they make guard chickens.....hmmmm!

8 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Can you get some Milorgonite fertilizer? Sprinkle it around and let it go to work....deer hate it and it fertilizes your plants!

Linda Reeder said...

I know there are guard geese!

Kristi Flanagan said...

Sis - you are becoming our mother! LOL! Where's the gun?

Karen K. said...

Just an FYI... Our first dog, Dexter, took a break around 8 am and didn't get to go back out until 5 or 6 and he did just fine. Our current dog is outside all day and I never see her take a potty break! I practically have to make her. Silly dog. Getting a puppy wouldn't be an option, but perhaps an established dog with a big bladder? ;) Hey, wait a minute? What about Aggie? She's a good dog! I'm sure she'd love to chase deer...

CeeCee said...

Oh Vonda, I'm so sorry. Have you not had deer in the past? Hostas are like Godiva chocolate to most deer. I've only got spiny, nasty tasting things planted out where the deer can reach.

Shake-Away Inc. said...

Dear Egghead - Consider using Shake-Away Deer Repellent. It is a certified organic repellent that uses coyote urine granules to capitalize on a deer's instinctive fear of its predators in order to deter deer from eating your valuable plants and shrubs. Because it is in granular form, it is very easy to apply - you do not need to spray each leaf of the plant you want to protect - and a light to moderate rain will not wash it away. Our product is registered with the U.S. EPA and is natural, non-toxic and family-friendly. Feel free to check out our website for more info: www.shake-away.com Happy gardening! ~ Shake-Away

Emily Cole said...

Vonda, I hear you! I've been trying to get some hostas to grow in a VERY SHELTERED spot near the house and it's nearly impossible! Last year we moved some of our outdoor structures around and that seemed to scare them off for a while, but we still had to put up deer fencing around our garden.

Farmchick said...

Yes...dear can do a lot of damage....frustrating!! Stop over and say hi....maybe even link up with me on my Farm Photo Friday...it is for pictures taken on your farm, ranch, garden or out in the country. Would love for you to join in on the fun!!