Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Elusive Goldfinch

Today is my daughter Jill's 28th birthday. Happy birthday love!

I have always loved the little yellow goldfinches that seem to flock in our lower field.  I would always put out bird seed but never could entice these particular birds to come up closer to the house. I would get every other bird in the world (your know those pesky crows and blue jays who hog the food) but these little guys just seemed elusive.  That is until I discovered that they love thistle seed.

For fathers day the farmer wanted some new bird feeders and of course just could not wait until the day. So look what he came home with.  I could see right away that this little adventure would be worth watching. If you know the farmer he becomes very determined that things will work his way and not natures.

Yes. This little cheap plastic feeder which used to have little perches. It was really odd because I told him that all the thistle was gone in one day and the little perches were on the ground.  We did see a few goldfinches but not that many in one day.  So the farmer decided to glue the perches in so they would stay as the seed went down (rolling of eyes and crickets chirping).  If you look closely they are no longer sticking out of the feeder.  Something chewed them off.  I laughed and told the farmer to just throw that cheap thing away because obviously the birds had grown teeth overnight.  He agreed and off we went to buy a couple more.

The farmer chose this feeder. It was the most expensive one in the garden center and seemed very sturdy.    I liked it but really wanted to get a more decorative one as well. So I chose an entirely different one and we decided to experiment.  As you can see from the photo above the farmers bird feeder was mysteriously open the next morning and all seed gone. Those birds with teeth were back.  The farmer used the best tool he owns for fixing this problem.  He duct taped it closed and filled it up again.  I tried to tell him that perhaps it was another creature and teeth can usually chew right through duct tape as well He gave me that look as I laughed, you know the stink eye look.

Upon looking closer you can see that the toothed birds chewed right through the duct tape, stripped the cedar wood along the door by chewing away at it and all food was yet again missing.  He was ready to sit on the deck and watch for the culprit. More duct tape, more seed, sling shots. Another day.

The next morning I looked out the window to see the feeder swinging back and forth.  Upon a closer look there was a cute little gray squirrel bird. I just knew that there was a bird with teeth!!!  I had to take photos to prove to the farmer that I am not as crazy as he thinks I am as I laugh hysterically at him as he tries to foil the wildlife around here.

Yeah, this guy was quite the acrobat.

Who needs wings anyway?

Of course "my" chosen bird feeder is doing just fine. And look at those goldfinches. At least they don't have bushy tails.

17 comments:

icebear said...

lol, that was great!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Happy birthday, Jill!!!
Well atleast one of you know how to outsmart the flying "birds" with teeth. tee hee

frugalmom said...

Ahahahhah! That was funny. I love that he used duct tape to try and deter those "birds with teeth" :-)

Darn squirrels. They love to eat all our seed, too.

I do love your feeder that you chose tho.. Very pretty...and functional. :-)

Paula said...

Heehee! Silly little toothed birds! Love your goldfinches. We have a lot of them around here as well, but I decided not to fill my birdfeeders right now because I feel like I'm just chumming them in for our cats, who are both vorocious hunters.

LittleInsect said...

teehee - I suffer from those little grey birds with teeth too...as you will see here: http://thelifeoflittleinsect.blogspot.com/search/label/squirrels

Putz said...

i really really love birdfeeders, but i do not like squwrillexs>>>a squuwilles killed my brother>>>have you ever blogged to ivy paws and his rant against you know what>>>of course ivey paws is a dog>>>and i love that you are 28 years old egghead>>>me and jack benny are 39 years old

rhymeswithplague said...

I love goldfinches and, yes, goldfinches love black-oil thistle seed!

The backyard at our last house attracted lots of goldfinches, but not until this spring -- and we have lived here almost seven years -- did I see one at our new house. He was a welcome sight for these old eyes.

Kristi Flanagan said...

Ha, ha, ha!!! We've had to deal with those birds with teeth too! As you might recall, we grease the pole and watch them try to climb up it and slide back down.....we are easily entertained!

Hugs,

Kristi

CeeCee said...

Love the duct tape! All he needs now is zip ties and baling wire. :)

We had goldfinches stay the summer for the first year I can remember. I love them! I don't know how you get such good pictures of them. Mine don't sit still long enough to have their picture taken.

Mental P Mama said...

LOL. I think there are very few things funnier to watch than humans fighting squirrels off their bird feeders. Unless I am that particular human.

Putz said...

i have goldfinches all over , around, through my yard and i also have a 28 year old daughter becky....>>.way to go grandma

rhymeswithplague said...

Where are you, Vonda? Still gazing at goldfinches? Still scampering after squirrels?

It's past time for your monthly post! Your public awaits you....

Miss Riya said...

Sorry, I'm a little bit late commenting, but I finally read the post. I've glanced at the pics several times, but never read it.
This is so stinking funny!

P.S. Still praying for you & your family.

~Me

Oregontribal1 said...

My dad had a bird feeder that hung from a steel pole attached to the fence post. A day later, the food was gone! So he sat out on the deck with a BB gun and prepared to take pot shots at the varmint eating his bird seed.
It was a squirrel and he was climbing the pole to stuff his cheeks!!
So my dad greased the pole; and we laughed until we cried watching the squirrel sliiiiidddddeeee down the pole desperate to cram his cheeks! Mom didn't think it was funny....but dad and I still laugh about it!!

Mare said...

That is too funny!! Those darn squirrels. You do have to give them credit for their perseverance. I don;t give up in trying to keep them out of my bird feeders. They have gone so far as to climb the side of my house and vault off of the roof onto the shepherd's hook that is holding the feeders. They are unbelievable!!

Carolynn said...

Those squirrels are amazingly clever and tenacious! After all that effort, I think he deserves all the seeds he can get.

rhymeswithplague said...

I hope all is well with you and your family, Vonda. We miss you out here in blogland. Perhaps you are just finding your new grandchild more fun than sitting at a keyboard....