Friday, June 4, 2010

Happy Spring

Top of the mornin' to ya!  I've always wanted to say that of course using my Irish lilt that I don't have.  But it is in my head I tell you. It just doesn't transfer to my mouth.

After watching a robin build her nest not just once but again after it fell off the downspout of our gutters and a pair of barn swallows building their nest in my birdhouse, I felt a little craft itch coming on.  I am always on the lookout for an affordable but cute craft that I can also share with my grandchildren.  The farmer and I have been eyeing this big rolling basket in front of the Joanne's Fabrics full of these cute wooden birdhouses for.....get ready.....for just $1.00 each.  So I bought a few thinking there must be something I can come up with.



And so I did.  This is just the first of many ideas that are swirling around so get your crafting hat on baby.


See these cute unfinished $1.00 birdhouses? There are several shapes. You will need at least one or this project won't work.


Then pull out some of my favorite things...white acrylic paint, Mod Podge and the great Kahuna, E-6000. I can't decide which I love the most....glue or glue.  Ha ha!


You will need scrapbook paper or any cute paper like tissue, decorative napkins, etc.  I chose to use two different papers (not the pictured paper...just an example).  There are a number of mediums to use.  I thought it would be cute using old piano sheet music but use your imagination.


I also chose some Reindeer Moss but you really don't need to buy this.  Around Oregon there is so much moss on our trees begging to be used, I will never buy this again.  Free is good.  You can also use bark, wood, etc. for the roof and such. All kinds of things.  I only used a touch of this moss in the little hole.  Also I took a cute sunflower button I had in my button jar and cut the shank off and glued to the roof.  I didn't think to take a picture of that.  Now as I write this I also forgot to show the ink I used to age the paper and the nail file I sanded the edges of the paper with. Oh never mind but I did use them.


I think the most tricky part of this was to make a pattern for the scrapbook paper so that it would fit on the birdhouse with as few as seams as possible.  You can also tear the paper into little bits and decoupage them on which is what my little granddaughters did because it was easier than being exact for them.

Use paper and press it along the edges of the birdhouse making creases for the roof.  I also measured the bottom portion in length and width so that was easy.  After making the paper pattern I traced it on to card stock so that I would have a more sturdy template for future work. Trace your patterns on the back of the scrapbook paper and then cut out.  You will need to make a dot where the little perch is and punch a hole there for the perch to come through. I didn't worry about the opening at this point because after I Modge Podged the paper on I carefully trimmed the opening.  But you can do it in advance if you prefer.

I chose to paint my birdhouse white but you can leave it natural or paint it any color you desire.  Or even paint just the edges that will not be covered with anything.  After the paint has dried go ahead and get your hands messy with that Modge Podge. I actually like to slather a heavy coating on the back of the paper as well as on the birdhouse.  Then after laying down the paper I dip my fingers in more Modge Podge and work any wrinkles or bubbles out.  After drying I carefully trimmed out the little round opening with an Exacto knife and any excess paper around the edge of the roof.  I then took a nail file (you could use sand paper as well) and sanded down the rough edges around the roof and the opening.  I chose to ink the edges to give it a little more aged look but do whatever floats your boat.  I then slathered on one more coat of Modge Podge and let dry.  I glued my little sunflower button on the roof and then glued the birdhouse on to a crystal candlestick holder with that trusty E-6000 glue. I love that stuff.  You know you can find a ton of these candlestick holders at Goodwill for cheap.  I think this one cost me .29.  Then I hot glued a little moss in the opening of the hole and tied a ribbon around the bottom of the house and there your have it.








Punkin Seed Productions


10 comments:

Jill said...

I LOVE IT!!! Adorable!

Gayle said...

Such a cute project. I wish I had time for crafting again. Someday.

Amy said...

So cute! I see those little unfinished birdhouses at the craft store and wonder to myself what in the world to do with them.

You've nailed it!

Kristi Flanagan said...

Awe so cute sis! Thank you for planting your creative seed at Plant a Punkin Seed Party!!!!

Miss you.

Kristi
Punkin Seed Productions

Mod Podge Amy said...

This is TOO CUTE! I love the candlestick.

Twisted Fencepost said...

That's adorable!!!
I have a few little birdhouses I've been wondering what to do with. Now I know!!!

Mental P Mama said...

That is adorable!

Carol J. said...

Hi there! I just "found" you and have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts. :) (Don't ask how I found you...even though it was only about eight minutes ago, I forgot how I got here! Very embarrassing!)

Happy Friday, or as I like to say every single Friday...TGIF! :)

rhymeswithplague said...

Truth in blogging: I don't care for this particular craft, but I'm sure it is just an aberration in an otherwise sterling line-up of wonderful doodads and thingamajigs that fill the shelves of your home.

I think your best craft, and ithis is just one person's opinion, is your ability to write so well!

Mare said...

What a project! I have many birdhouses and birdfeeders, so I'm with ya on birding. Let us know if it works out for the birds!