Thursday, February 18, 2010

Things That Tickle Your Gag Reflex

Now that I have your attention I really must warn you. If you have a weak stomach or a gagging, vomiting issue step away from the computer. I for one have a slightly HUGE gagging issue. There are just some things I can't take. Because of this it will take me days to complete this....

I did a search for a cartoon-like picture of someone gagging. Oh my gosh! DO NOT DO THAT!!! I found myself trying to control that gag reflex for hours because I couldn't get those horrid nasty photos out of my head. And I only looked at two. Now that should show you how bad I can be. I am also a visual thinker so pictures of things people are describing pop in there and there are certain people who love to watch me gag. Brother Jay and my son Brian, are you hearing me?

We had a little issue a couple of weeks ago while my daughter and her family were visiting. One evening we were sitting in the living room when I kept getting a whiff of some heinous odor. But it was fleeting so I found myself trying to ignore it while giving the stink eye to several family members. However, I did check the baby grandsons diaper a couple of times expecting to see a huge explosion but he was clean. Poor baby gets the blame every time.

The next evening I walk in the living room where everyone once again had gathered and noticed a peculiar issue. There sat everyone giving each other darting glances, watering eyes shifting back and forth suspiciously, faces red. They seemed to have that accusing look. You know what I mean. My daughters told me that something by the love seat really smelled bad. My first instinct was to glare at the farmer in blame but I walked over there and sure enough there was that same odor that I had thought the night before was some bean eating family member. The first thing that came to mind when I realized that not everyone could be having that bad of a gas problem was perhaps the baby grandson had spilled milk in the carpet or something and it was smelling sour. We looked and searched and couldn't find anything obvious. That is until I walked behind the love seat. Oh my the smell was that of a decaying body. It was coming up through the heat vent.

We have a mouse problem each winter and I have chosen to poison the little creatures because I can't stand to trap them. Creeps me out. I am re-thinking this because this is the second time we have had that lovely smell waft through our house when something died. So you can imagine the gagging that was going on in our place.

I am happy to report that our problem has been taken care of and there is no more odor. There are many things that make me wretch but baby spit up never bothers me....just snot, dead animal smells and that sort of thing.......ohhhh gotta go. Gag in process!

11 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

I know exactly what you mean. And what's worse, it when you know WHAT it is, but can't find WHERE it is. You just have to wait it out.

Flea said...

Oooo. I have a cast iron stomach, but a dead rodent in the heating vent is where I cross the line. You poor thing!

Karen K. said...

Ew, ew, ew. We had mice a couple of years ago. I thought they were so cute, scritchin' away in the walls. (I do like small rodents). Well, I didn't think they were nearly as cute after they got into all my bags of rice and stored foods in the basement. They also left little black poops everywhere and then the house started to smell. Mouse poo and urine! Ugh! It was awful. We trapped them and told them goodbye. I may have already told you this before but an exterminator I know told us to put two or three mothballs where the mice were making their entry. I put some near two exterior vents and a couple more near another location and ya know what? We've never had mice again. So far it's worked for us. (Mothballs are really toxic though so if you try it, use only a couple in each location and don't put them where they'll smell up YOUR environment.)

Gayle said...

Very well-written funny post. Ahh, the gag reflex. Poop...toilets...talking about sewer systems and I will throw-up. It's all I can do to go to the bathroom myself..oh, and the dog poop. Ack! And we have five. Currently bribing my son to clean it up for me. Wish I was tougher. Glad you found the smell.

Kristi Flanagan said...

Vonda - you crack me up. Your gag reflex story reminds me of when Kyla was trying to tell us about putting her hand in a loogie - she was gagging trying to tell us and your were gagging at watching her gag - we laughed for hours over that. Kyla truly inherited that fun trait from you!!! Fun memories!

Love you!

~ Jackie said...

Next time, try this, it worked for me. Mix plaster of paris and bacon grease into a paste. Put it into tuna cans, and sit it where the rodents are.

The mice/rats will eat it cuz it smells yummy from the bacon grease, but the plaster of paris will not "activate" until its mixed with water.

They LEAVE the coziness of your attic or crawlspace to get a drink...so when they expire, they will be away from your house.

Putz said...

wnat to hear the worse odor of alll?????my father in law died, no that is not the ordor, his powere was off for one year and the meat in the brand new refridgerator freeezor that we tried but couldn.t get rid of was ausual finallly three a 1400 dollar fridge away, even professionals couldn't get rid of the porcupine, muscrat meat sour smeelll

Mental P Mama said...

The word gag does me in...every time.

Tipper said...

I'm a gagger too-who is married to a non-gagger who loves to cause me to gag : ) I've had the dead mice problem before too-I wish the little varmints didn't like to invade our houses LOL!

Junebug said...

Oh, I know the dead mouse smell. It's horrible. We recently had a mouse fall into the return air ducts in our house. I could hear it scratching for a few days and then it died. Then it smelled the whole house up when the heater would come on. We tried putting scented air fresheners near it and spraying Lysol and everything we could think of but it didn't help. We got a long hose and wiggled it into the vent and hooked to our vacuum but couldn't reach it. We just had to wait for it to dry up and quit smelling. It did. The mouse come into our attic and sometimes fall into the wall. Once we had to cut a hole in the wall in a closet next to our bathroom and dig out several dead mice. So gross!

Oregontribal1 said...

OMG!!!! I can think of no worse of a smell than a dead RAT!! I put out d-Con rat killer because this particular rat lived in my kitchen and ran from oven to fridge late at night! My Chihuahua was afraid she'd get gobbled up so she avoided the kitchen at all costs.
Well, the rat DIED in 3 places under my fridge!! My hubby tipped the fridge to the side and I was s'posed to gently sweep it out from underneath......I ended up JABBING it and all its "rodent juices" squished out onto my hubby's boots!! I took the dead rat over to my landlady's house in a ziploc bag and she adamantly agreed that "we" had a rat problem!