Friday, December 4, 2009

Why, Why, Why?

Before I forget I must say this. Why? Why what? Let me clarify.

Why do I think of some mishap while working away and tell myself to be extra careful so "X" (you fill in the blank) won't happen and then it promptly happens? On Thanksgiving day, the one day that I usually mess up on something, I kept my record. You know that record of something underdone, overdone, raw (as in turkey in turned off oven)....well you know. I decided to make the ever famous strawberry jello with bananas and whip cream, the one all of our mothers made each year. Not because I love it but because it just needed to be made. After all, we can't have a plate come to the sink without the ever beautiful red melted slime can we?

Things were going swimmingly and I carefully picked up the jello and was about ready to put it in the refrigerator when a LARGE memory wafted in of my mother making this same jello. What I remember was not her making the jello but later opening the refrigerator door and seeing it covered in red set jello.....walls, bottom ceiling racks, everything. It was now a congealed mess. You see, after she put the jello in the refrigerator she was cleaning, preparing for company and she decided to pull the refrigerator out to clean under it. Why? My mother is not known for cleaning under anything. So why now? Well you guessed it, the jello was not set and of course as she tugged and pulled it sloshed all over inside, jiggling and giggling waiting for my unsuspecting mother to open the door and remember that yes, she had made jello.

As I am remembering this a large picture of spilled jello in my refrigerator pops in my wee little head and I am telling myself to be extremely careful or I will become my mother from years ago. I begin to slide the glass container in slowly, gently, carefully. Then boom, it catches on the glass shelf and in slow motion the red liquid sloshes toward the back, then slowly toward the front, undulating to the back, building momentum finally sloshing all over in the front part of the refrigerator, the floor and my bare feet. I stood there stunned and sticky then finally the reaction kicked in and an expletive blurted from my lips for my little grandson to practice saying. Yes he copies everything right now, EVERYTHING. Lucky for me, my daughter, Jill was there to jump in and grab a towel to begin the clean up, of course laughing as I do at my mother. I am sure she appreciates the new word her little boy now knows. At least it didn't have a chance to set up.....would have been a much harder mess to clean up.

Do you have these premonitions and then find it happening in the next instant? I can't tell you how many times I have fallen up the stairs (you heard me, up the stairs) after I just saw myself do it in my head. My toe just seems to grow ten inches and trip me up and I fall forward. Of course in the stairwell at work everything echoes and people come running but I usually just smile and say "what noise?" They know. Yes they know.

19 comments:

Michelle said...

You must have a special talent. That never happens to me!

DesertHen said...

I know Exactly what you are talking about! It drives me crazy at times too!!

Mental P Mama said...

I could feel it coming! And, yes, I share that talent. Your grandson now knows the correct usage of your choice word;)

Jill said...

How does it look under the fridge these days? Or have you even bothered with that miserable task yet?!!!! I'd pretend it had never happened and just live in ignorance... :o)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

hahaha! It's just like The Secret!


~Lisa

Twisted Fencepost said...

Time and time and time again! *sigh*

Paula said...

Oh yes, me too....

Gayle said...

Your story brought such a smile to my face. I do it all the time.

Carolynn said...

Oh absolutely. I think it's one of those "Laws", like the Law of Attraction only much more devious.

Linda Reeder said...

I do have those thoughts, but most often it does not happen. Maybe you are visualizing a bit too intensely!

Tarheel Rambler said...

Man, can I relate to this. The last time it happened to me was while cleaning a large knife while I was out camping. Luckily, there was a friend in the camper next to mine to help me stop the bleeding.

Putz said...

one time i put our traditional pumkin pies of the top of the freezer for cooling, well some one had been into the freezer to get the ice and later when gramma saisd where are the poumking pies, not a peep from anyone we found the pies after new years slid onto the floor inback of the freezer...now it has become a tradition

kristi said...

I told you your middle name should be Mae!

DesertHen said...

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

Miss Riya said...

Given your condition, I'm just going to send you a virtual greeting....it's safer. I wouldn't want you to run into the mailbox or give yourself a paper cut. Just kidding! What I really wanted to say was:
I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A WONDERFUL HOLIDAY SEASON & A MERRY CHRISTMAS.
~Me

Daniel said...

oh your mama and everytime i see your mamma i think of my motor cycling dead mamma , whp's your mamma?????

WeekendFarmer said...

Are those wild quails?? wow...you are so lucky!

Karen K. said...

Oh HOW did I miss this post? YES! This is so true. In fact, it is so true that when I walk downstairs and begin to imagine myself falling down them and breaking my neck (oy!) I immediately backtrack and imagine myself gliding down them without any problem at all. I agree with one of the other posts. I think there is some law... what it is I don't know, but that energy is there and well we know the rest of the story.

I still like Olivia's version of my 'swear' word: "CWAP!" (I am soooooo glad it was just that word I used...) ;)

Mare said...

You are too funny!!