Sunday, November 1, 2009

Trick, Trick, Ummm Trick or Treat!

The farmers birthday is on Halloween. Normally we have a lasagna dinner at his mom's house with a cake or pie of his choice. But this year I took him out of town for a much needed get away for his birthday. We really did have a nice time, great dinner a movie and much shopping. So we thought about buying a cake for his birthday at this great bakery suggested by my daughter and son-in-law. But after finding the bakery we found it was closed. So I told him "no problem honey. I will go home and make you a Boston cream pie".

Oh boy!! He anxiously anticipated this lovely cake. Why do they call it a pie anyway? I think they did this to mess with me.



I love Boston cream pie. I made it years ago....once. I swear I remembered it being beautiful and so good. You know, like this photo. Isn't it perfect? Oh how I wish this were my cake.



So the home made cake had a wee little bit of a problem. When I tried to slice it in half it kind of shattered into a million crumbly pieces. I just stood there laughing with tears streaming down my face. Oh my I am still cracking up looking at this beautiful masterpiece.



I kind of shoved it all in a pile and with enough custard dumped on it you could barely tell. Then drizzle the chocolate sauce and wa la! Kind of purdy don't ya think?



Well maybe until you turn it around to the other side. Ha ha ha! I think my daughter needs to be perhaps making all of my cakes in the future. So maybe I could win a contest for this.

The farmer was such a good sport. He had to come see why I was hysterically laughing. When I held out the lovely mess he just stood there...blink, blink, whir, whistle!!


Still the farmer ate a big old sloppy piece and just smiled. Note the large shovel cutting utensil and the large glass of ice water to choke it down with. Where were you Paula Deen when I needed you?

Happy birthday to my farmer.

17 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

Happy belated birthday, Farmer!
I'll bet it tasted just as good though!

Kristi said...

Happy Birthday Dave! I think it's time for another "surprise" costume party for Dave don't you think?

chook said...

i'm sure it was delicious. love the scoop approach.

Gayle said...

Why is it when we really really want something to turn out it doesn't, but when we don't care it does? It's the thought that counts and The Farmer was such a good sport about it!

Mental P Mama said...

It's the love that goes into it that counts. Right? Happy belated birthday to the Farmer!

Carolynn said...

Oh how sweet of you to make that for him and how sweet of him to eat it.

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Tee hee! Funny story! My husband *loves* Boston Cream Pie, too, so I tried my hand at baking one last year. I have to say, mine turned out a bit, um, a little prettier than yours (snort), but I wonked up the cream filling entirely. It just didn't have that delicious cream-y flavor that we've become accustomed to. I'd say you made a wonderful Boston Cream Pie PUDDING! :-)

Putz said...

farmer must be the better half for hime to dig, right in, but i am sure any husband would dig right in, and his hair looks wonderful...mine is so much thinner than his of course i have 8 years on him so just wait and see...a holloween baby, eh???????????

Jill said...

ha ha! I love this! Wade cracked up when he read this one, Mom! He thinks my bad-luck cooking is starting to rub off on you ;o) he he! Love you!

Rural Writer said...

Oh, I love Boston Cream Pie, though I'm with you - why did they call it that? Anyway, it doesn't matter how it LOOKS. It's how it tastes!

noble pig said...

You should send it to cake wrecks! The first pick I was like...wow, wow! Thanks for the laugh.

Linda Reeder said...

How brave of you to share your disaster with all of us. But anything with custard and chocolate sauce has to taste good.

Kristi said...

bet it was better than the one in the picture!

Miss Riya said...

I love your blog, because it usually makes me laugh.
Thanks,
~Me

Paula said...

Happy late birthday to the Farmer!
This post is hysterical. Very reminiscent to some of my baking disasters. The cake looks yummy anyway!

June said...

Happy birthday! I always find it easier to enjoy a cake that didn't quite live up to its beauty potential. It's all about the scrumptiousness then. And that looks scrumptious to me. Totally!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Happy Belated Birthday! And I'd eat that cake in an instant. I love it when it's all sloppy and creamy like that. Yummo!


~Lisa