Monday, July 20, 2009

Call In The Big Guns

I have spoke of snakes in my house in the past on the blog with my sisters but this is becoming really kind of creepy. I have never been afraid of snakes per say but let's just say that when they are outside I don't mind them. When they decide they want to take over living in what we call our home, maybe not so much.



We were minding our own business having a 4th of July BBQ when what should appear in our skylight sunbathing. This rubber boa which is really harmless and is the same kind of snake that has come in before. Well except the time that the snake came in through our open floor in the bathroom during remodel. That one was scary and fast. It just creeps me out to have one of these IN MY HOUSE. This is the fourth snake since we moved in. OK now what to do.



Oh Yeah! Call in the big guns when you have a trooper in the family. Trooper K saves the day. I knew there was a good reason for sending that boy off to training. I wonder if they included snake catching in his self defense class.



Well I give him all the credit for taking care of this little problem. But please note the shadow of my salad tongs which was the weapon of choice. Ferocious he was.



After dropping the thing in a bucket we had some very curious 4 year olds. They both thought they needed to touch it and the screeching and jumping back when it moved even slightly was hilarious.



Thank you Trooper K. You have now saved the day.



Yikes. This thing needed to go.



Just another shot before he tried to squeeze through the decking.

Oh and just to make my day the following weekend? The farmer promised that he had blocked any existing tiny crack where they could come in. But you guessed it. Another snake in the same exact location and again, Trooper K was here to save the day.

I can't walk under that skylight now without looking up to check for snakes.

24 comments:

Carolynn said...

That totally creeps me out!!!

rhymeswithplague said...

At least the boa wasn't poisonous. We were visiting our son and his wife in Florida last month and a cottonmouth water moccasin (a small one, maybe two feet long and as big around as your finger) showed up on their patio, which is screened.

Mental P Mama said...

Yikes. Trooper K is one cool hero;)

Jill of All Trades said...

Creepy!

frugalmom said...

Im just happy that that snake hasnt fallen on your head yet. :)

Flea said...

Oo! It looks like the black racers that came into our house in Florida! I love them. The kids would catch them and keep them for a day or two. They're so snuggly. :)

Linda Reeder said...

OMG, I might have to move if it were my house!

Beverly said...

We could have used Trooper K a few weeks back when we found a family of 5 black snakes beneath our woodshed....YIKES!!! Thanks for stopping by to see me.
Bev

noble pig said...

You have no idea how fast I would be removing the skylight.

Oregontribal1 said...

Hi Egghead! It is I Oregontribal1!! Haven't been able to catch up but the snake thing??? YIKES! I'm not crazy about snakes either...tho' if they leave me alone I will do the same! I once found one lying in the tracks of a friend's screen door, it was a water snake and smelled like cucumbers; needless to say when I pick cukes I make dang sure it IS GREEN!

Jill said...

he he! Our Trooper K looks like a nerd in that picture holding up the snake! ha ha ha ha ha!

Michelle at Boulderneigh said...

Ew, ew, ew! No snakes in the house! I thought you also lived in Oregon; did I miss something? Are these things indigenous to our state? EW!

Putz said...

now where is it agzain where you live...you don't live in ARKANSAS with ali???//?/no....

Putz said...

my little girl did a vent vent vent and got miss ephraim for her effotrs by doing the ringading telephone operator as a skit....so go put that in your peacepipe and smoke it

Sarah Peterson said...

SICK! I think I would die... at least you know its harmless ;)

Tipper said...

Double yikes!!! We found a snake on our porch last week-but thank goodness not in the house. I'm glad you've got the trooper.

Gayle said...

That is about freakin' gross! I would have chopped it in half...again and again. OMG how do you remain so calm? That could slither on you while you are sleeping!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, obviously, there are no snakes in Alaska.

CeeCee said...

How did I miss this post?
I really like snakes. I still don't want one in my house, certainly not lingering above my head.
Glad you have a beloved trooper on hand to help out. :)

Jill said...

Am I the only one who has no idea what Putz said in his 2nd comment????

Kelli said...

No I'm right there with you Jill haha! And I like the comment about the snakes being "cuddly" - yuck!

Miss Riya said...

I'm glad this happened to a woman who can retain her composure in the midst of creepy things. If this would've happened in my house, my husband would have been posting to inform you all that I was in the hospital -due to a head wound- due to the fact that slithery things make me faint-!!!

Country Girl said...

That just feels all kinds of creepy.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Way to go, Trooper K!
I'm not sure I could walk under the skylight.
You need to get you one of those catch poles and keep it in a corner near the skylight.

bettyl said...

One of the best things about NZ is NO SNAKES! They give me the willies!