Saturday, May 9, 2009

Morning Guest

We have been hearing yipping and howling the past few weeks at night. It sounded like a coyote but I had not seen nor heard any in the eight years we have been here. Then twice just as the daylight was disappearing we came upon something racing across the road into the field. It looked much like a fox but because of the lack of light, the fact that it was moving fast and we are just plain getting old and losing our eyesight, we couldn't tell for sure what it was.



Mystery solved. This morning while I was getting ready to plant some flowers this guy raced out of the forest and stopped at the bottom of our field to nose around. He hung around long enough for me to take a few pictures and then he was off to look for something to eat. I grew up with coyotes, or I should say most people thought we were raised with wolves or coyotes. But really coyotes were a common thing at night but we rarely saw them in the day so I was quite surprised to see this one hanging around in the morning sunshine.  He looks quite well fed too.

10 comments:

Carolynn said...

Oh, he looks gorgeous. I have a fondness for coyotes & wolves. What a treat to get to watch him for a little while.

Kelli said...

Hey! I saw this guy last weekend when I was coming out to the house. I forgot to tell you but he ran off quickly. He's really cute though.

Gayle said...

One time I walked out of my house onto the deck to find a coyote standing at the bottom of the stair growling at me. It was very frightening. In 41 years in AK that is the only and only coyote I've ever seen. You were so lucky to be able to photograph him.

Maria said...

Great shot
Either he came out for a picture because he was insulted to be called a fox and wanted to clear up that issue or he heard about this blog and wanted is 15 minutes of fame

Twisted Fencepost said...

Great shot!
He just wanted to clear up any confusion as to what type of critter he actually was. Now he can move on knowing that he has answered one of life's little mysteries. tee hee

Michelle at Boulderneigh said...

Yipping and howling are commonplace around here. Although the coyotes are rarely seen, I know they're around. That's why my sheep get locked up at night!

Kristi said...

Oh wow, he's beautiful. The other night I heard the most terrible yipping and something squeaking in mortal terror outside my bedroom window. By the time I jumped out of bed, cut on the floodlights, peered out the window and then ran outside it was gone. I'm pretty sure it was a coyote maybe killing a rabbit. Then last night I heard yipping in the neighboring field. I've seen coyotes in the past around here, but it seems as if we have a pack now! Does he bother your chickens?

DesertHen said...

Nice shot! We hear them almost nightly here in the desert and see them roaming the alfalfa fields hunting for mice and gophers.

Deb said...

he looks so cute...but I'm sure he is not....

TSannie said...

Nature creeps closer. Be careful if you have cats..