Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Farewell For Now

Max
October 10, 1931 - May 11, 2009
Max was my father-in-law, my second father, if you will. My heart broke when my father passed away nineteen years ago but never could I have found a more perfect replacement than my husband's father. This man was so much like my dad that sometimes the two blended together in my mind. Some would say that he was a small man which in stature he was. But to measure by a huge heart, he was a giant among men.  

He loved nothing better than to take a fishing rod and spend hours with a line in the water. The photo above with my daughter, Kyla,  is a perfect example of what he was like as a grandfather. He will be forever remembered for his sweet and gentle nature, his love of family which was not only evident with his own children and grandchildren but also the great love for his sister's and wife's families. His love of life and humor were a joy to experience and he was one of the best examples of what it means to live a life simply and well.

I am going to miss that chuckle, those crinkly smiling eyes, the big kiss he always gave me coming and going, the fishing trips, picnics, family dinners and his gardens. 

There is a crack in my heart again but I just know that he is surely fishing with my Kyla once again.

22 comments:

Kristi said...

Sis - So sorry to hear that Max passed away. He was such a sweet man - I loved how he called me "Krissie". I've always loved this photo of him and Kyla - so sweet. Send Dave our love and know that we are thinking of you all.

the7msn said...

My deepest condolences to you, your husband, and your family.

frugalmom said...

I am so very sorry. It sounds like you will have many great memories of him.

Mental P Mama said...

Vonda, I am a weepy, runny-nosed mess. All the best to you and your husband. And that picture.....Is so poignant that I want to print it out for myself. Much love.

Twisted Fencepost said...

I am so sorry!
I am praying for you and your family.
Peace be with you all.

Junebug said...

Hugs to you and your family. What a sweet, sweet photo.

Karen K. said...

Sniff... It's wonderful that you had him as part of your life. Your tribute to him is very touching. Thank goodness for happy memories :) (and good for you for writing them down). May you continue to remember things about him that will bring you smiles when you might feel sadness. Take care.

Farmgirl_dk: said...

What a lovely tribute to a person who clearly meant the world to you. I'm so sorry, Vonda, for you and your family's loss. Reading your words, I wanted to smile and cry at the same time. Oh, to be remembered as this dear man clearly will be. Your family is in my thoughts. -danni

Oregontribal1 said...

Dear Sweet Vonda.....
My heart goes out to your entire family! I truly know what it is to lose someone sooooo dear. You're in my prayers. Take care of yourselves, Teresa

Miss Riya said...

Beautiful post.
Love & Prayers,
~Me

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Your loving tribute touched my heart, Vonda. I'm so sorry for your loss.

((((HUGS))))
~Lisa

Deb said...

sounds like he was a wonderful man and has a wonderful family... great tribute...

Maria said...

what a great tribute, so sorry for your loss

Jeannelle said...

Egghead,

Sincere sympathy and prayers to you and your family.

Carolynn said...

What a rare gift it sounds like he was. That photo is absolutely spectacular. That's a lovely tribute, Vonda.
*Hugs*

Flea said...

Oh hun, I'm so sorry. Fishing sounds like a great way for him and Kyla to be spending their time together, though. (((HUGS)))

Gayle said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful moment captured in that photo.

Linda Reeder said...

That photo must be heart wrenching for you, and at the same time so very sweet. Such sweet sorrow.

Country Girl said...

Terribly sad, Vonda. Yet what an appropriate photo to post in this space.
Please know that my prayers are for you right now.
God, I can't get over this photograph.

DesertHen said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Sending sweet thoughts and prayers your way! (((HUGS)))

The photo is breathtaking!

TSannie said...

You have my sympathies. Sounds like there are many many wonderful memories for all of you.

CeeCee said...

I'm so sorry I'm late in getting to your post about your FIL. I too, have an amazing FIL. I adore him and wonder how much longer he'll be with us (81 yrs old). He spends time with my youngest tinkering around in his garage.

It's so wonderful that you picture he and Kyla fishing again. Brings such peace to the aching heart.