Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Girls Would Be Horrified

I ran across these little cartons the other day in the grocery store. I have always known there were egg substitutes but this is new to me. Eggs in a carton. Just like milk or juice.
That hen just looks too happy. None of mine look that happy about pushing out an egg. I guess even hens will do anything for fame.

Of course I wondered if the hens that produced the eggs for this carton only produced the whites. But only for a moment. Now the new generation of children will be even more confused. It is always a shock to learn that the milk came from the cow and the orange juice was from that orange and not the cartons. But now poor lambs, they will be able to just shake up those eggs and pour them out to scramble them. They might never know the joy of cracking that shell.

I wonder if many people will drink them from the carton like Rocky.


14 comments:

Michelle at Boulderneigh said...

Maybe this is how the big producers sell the contents of all those cracked eggs they can't put in cartons. Ew!

CeeCee said...

What I don't get is, why anyone would buy the regular (yolks and whites together) in a carton???? You know it's got to be more money than a dozen eggs.
Have folks really gotten this lazy?

Flea said...

Ew! Ew! Ew! I could never drink egg. And I can't bring myself to buy them already shelled. Ugh.

Karen K. said...

You are too funny. I didn't even know you had this blog (duh...I should have though!). I'm not sure why people would buy these. I guess they'd be good for a camping trip!

Gayle said...

I could see using these for camping, but I'd probably just crack eggs into my own contained. Something is very weird about the who deal.

Linda Reeder said...

I can't see myself using this product either.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Darn...and I though chocolate milk came from brown cows....

Those cartons are just wierd. Those hens look like they are cracking the eggs open...like my brown leghorn does before she sucks one down (durn hen).

~Lisa

Twisted Fencepost said...

Shoot, that takes all the fun out of fixing eggs. And the challenge of trying not to break the yellow. That is something perfected over time.

Carolynn said...

Eeww...there's something about that, that's just wrong.

Jeannelle said...

Cute post, Vonda....you egg lady you. If you have time, stop at this post and offer a caption:

http://midlifebyfarmlight.blogspot.com/2009/04/chicky-needs-caption.html

Miss Riya said...

I used to use those cartons for my daughter. I would keep the eggs, shredded cheese, and diced ham in the bottom drawer of the fridge. She could combine the ingredients in her microwave omlette maker and cook it for one minute. I admit it tastes a little better the old fashioned way, but she enjoyed the freedom of "cooking" her own breakfast. I still let her make them sometimes, but I broke down and bought a container with a spout and I crack a few eggs in it and let her go to town.

Daisy said...

Crazy, isn't it? I'd rather buy the organic eggs from the farmer. That hen looks just a little, well maybe, drugged?

TSannie said...

Mental P. lives on those egg whites!

DesertHen said...

Eggs in a carton like juice or milk....scary!!