Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Being Nine

I love to think back and remember when I was nine. This was the year my mom and dad had another baby boy and I was at the perfect age to think he was my baby. I loved to help feed him, rock him and teach him animal sounds. Yes I am proficient in animal speak so much that my parents once debated on putting me in a zoo.

I loved to spend free time in the summer in tree forts reading books and those worries about clothes, makeup, boys, or what others thought of me seemed non existent. I have to admit that my hair in those days looked pretty wild because I really preferred not to think about grooming. Perhaps I really did belong in a cage.


So my point here is really not about me. This is my oldest granddaughter, Emma. She turns nine today and that is what brings all my nonsense to mind. What a great age she is.


Seeing her with my youngest grandson, Ayden brings back those memories of me with my little brother.


She is so sweet to the little guys. My daughter, Jill caught these photos with my camera on Saturday.



Even when she was outside she just couldn't resist playing with Ayden.



This just melts my heart.

Happy birthday my girl. I love you.

23 comments:

Leenie said...

Awwwww :D.

Donna S. said...

Too sweet!!!!!!!!

Deb said...

what sweet grandchildren you have, love the last photo!

Linda Reeder said...

Beautiful and sweet and nostalgic. Score 100.

Karen K. said...

So sweet. I just can't believe she's nine. They really do grow up waaaaay too fast.

Jill said...

Happy birthday Emmy Lou! I love you, and I'm so glad you are such an awesome big cousin (though often more like a big sis!) to Ayden and Byron both--they think you're made out of everything wonderful, they adore you so much! As do I! You're precious and I love every single ounce of you!

Carolynn said...

That last shot is really lovely. What a beautifully loving moment.

Maria said...

what lovely photos and beautiful memories
Happy Birthday Emma

TSannie said...

The last two simply melted my heart. This is just lovely!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Happy Birthday, Emma!!!
Such sweet photos!

Kristi said...

Happy Birthday Emma - we love and miss you!

Putz said...

nine would be a bad age if you were begimne button and goping the wrong way towards 0....

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

That last picture is SO sweet! What a fun age. I have a 9 yr old...boys are not so sweet though.

Miss Riya said...

I love candid shots, especially of children.

CeeCee said...

That is absolutely wonderful.
Happy Birthday Emma!!

Shauna said...

Happy belated ninth birthday to Emma! Nine was a great age, and your post reminded me of how simple everything was. I think I'll stay in that mindset today!

Daisy said...

What a sweetheart! Nine is a special age. I teach fourth graders (ages 9-10) and I still think it's a great age.

rhymeswithplague said...

I absolutely do not understand what Putz said....oh, wait, I think he is referring to Benjamin Button.

Donalyn said...

Aw - so sweet! She looks like a very fun young lady.

Ngaio said...

They are beautiful photos . . There is 9 years between my younger 2 daughters, Phillippa and Ellena, when Ellena was born Pip adored her from the start - those pics bring back so many lovely memories. I have so many gorgeous photos of then together - in the doll`s pram, rocking to sleep, making the baby squeal with laughter and many more.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awwwww...you gave me the warm fuzzies. :)

~Lisa

Tipper said...

sweet.

Jennifer said...

That last photo is just precious.