Monday, March 2, 2009

Dr. Seuss

Today is Dr. Seuss' 105th birthday. I love reading Dr. Seuss books and I have read plenty of those over the course of raising my children. I am still reading those books to my grandchildren. There is something so fun about the sing song lilt and tongue twister lines. 

Did you know that Dr. Seuss not only wrote over 60 children's books but he was both the editor-in-chief of Dartmouth's humor magazine, Jack-O-Lantern and later a political cartoonist for a New York daily newspaper as well?  His name was Theodor Seuss Geisel and it was as a college student at Dartmouth that he started signing his work “Seuss.” Once he graduated, he started signing his work as “Dr. Seuss” when submitting it to a humor magazine. You can read more interesting facts about him here.


This book, Fox in Socks, is the current favorite of my grandchildren. The following line is one we always try to say as fast as we can but usually end up laughing right in the middle. Try it.  Fast.

"When a fox is in the bottle where the tweetle beetles battle with their paddles in a puddle on a noodle-eating poodle, THIS is what they call......a tweetle beetle noodle poodle bottled paddled muddled duddled fuddled wuddled fox in socks, sir!"

His last book is probably one of my favorites. I think because as an adult I began to look at the meaning of what he was writing. I love the final line in his final book, (Oh, the Places You'll Go!). "You're off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. so....get on your way!"

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss. I miss you.

10 comments:

Suzanne said...

I always loved when we celebrated Dr. Suess's birthday in Preschool... all of us wearing our striped hats, either ones we staff had purchased or paper ones made by all the kids. My favorite thing was when we did a reading contest to see how many books we could read in a month... and we would add stripes to the top of the cat in the hat for each book that was read! One year we went almost all the way around the room! I miss those fun days!

Warm Hugs from Suzanne @
www.sugarloafcottage.blogspot.com

Twisted Fencepost said...

Fox in Socks is my favorite Dr. Suess book.
Great post!

CeeCee said...

I loved his books, but Cat in the Hat always gave the creeps. I guess I took the whole scenario a little too seriously. :)

Tipper said...

My girls were obsessed with Dr. Seuss when they were little. I was always afraid of finding a vug under the rug or a wocket in my pocket :)

Carolynn said...

I LOVE Dr. Seuss! Happy Birthday, Sir.

I have a copy of his book, "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" that I bought for myself. It's actually very inspirational and motivational. It may be time to pull it out again, in honour of the birthday boy.

Thanks for the cheerful post this morning, Vonda.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Dr. Suess is the best! I've written a few dr. Suess-ish poems... Ya know after you read them you start to think in rhyme! :)

Oregontribal1 said...

I LOVE DR SUESS!!! My favorite is Green Eggs and Ham! Oh and One Fish, Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish.
My niece loves "Are you my mother?"
Dr. Suess rocks in our house!!!

The W.O.W. factor said...

I used to have all his books too, but passed them on to the daughter for her kids. I love Green Eggs and Ham!

Poetikat said...

He truly was a genius - and had a huge impact on my own evolution as a poet.

Wonderful tribute and post!

Kat

(I came by way of Jeannelle at Midlife by Farmlight, by the way.)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Fox in Socks is my all time favorite to read to my kids. I can't get bored reading it and it's a challenge that makes me and my kids laugh.

I love how D. Seuss is an icon in our history. Everyone seems to have grown up with his stories and has fond memories, too.
My kids have learned how to read with Dr. Seuss books.

What a terrific post, Vonda!

~Lisa