Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Mae Chronicles #3


The snow mobile adventure of my mother began on a  very cold day. Yes it was very cold. In fact in my mothers words "a cold day in hell".  My parents bought a used snow mobile for the family for Christmas one year. I can still see it in my head. It was a light blue and very spiffy looking. I used to love taking it out in the snowy field and race around on it.  In Baker we would get lots of snow each year and it made it very convenient to get to the neighbors quickly. I really don't remember if it was at Thanksgiving or Christmas time but it seems to me we were all home for a period of time so it must have been near one of these holidays. But why does that matter? I don't know. I just need to put more words down here.

This particular year there was quite a bit of snow and my dad had plowed the driveway and lane several times creating four or five foot ice berms on each side of the lane.  My mother was off visiting my Uncle and Aunt who lived across the county road from our farm.  The day was very cold, in fact in the low teens so she definitely had to wear warm clothing and gloves. Mid point in our lane we happen to see mom through the living room windows coming home on the snow mobile at a pretty fast clip. She hit a bump in the road and the snow mobile took a flying leap in the air which of course caused mom to bounce up in the air. As she was airborne the padded seat which for some reason had come unbolted, flew off the snow mobile and she came down pretty hard landing on her bum on the hard metal where the seat used to be.  As she got closer all I remember seeing was the machine going up one side of the ice berm and down  then back up on the opposite side all the while my mom with huge, bulging eyes and a pasty white face yelling in her most delicate manner "Whoa, you SOB, Whoa" like she was riding a bucking horse.

I know my brothers were there and I can't remember who else was a witness to this but as she hit our driveway the fear of God was on her face and she  baled off  rolling like a snow ball leaving the machine to race around behind the barn where we could no longer see it. Of course we all burst out laughing when we could see that she was not hurt. She was so mad at herself and at us for laughing that she stomped in the house covered in snow and yelled to my brother, John, to find that *&^*$# and turn it off. We immediately tried to straighten our faces but it proved to be too difficult which only added to her anger. Later she told us that her glove had frozen to the throttle of the snow mobile and it was wide open. Instead of turning the key off the only thing she said she could think to do in her panic was to scream "Whoa" and bale off.  My brother found the snow mobile standing on end with the front of ski up the side of our barn idling and waiting to be turned off as if it were a planned parking. I kind of thought that maybe I should give mom riding lessons for Christmas of the non animal type. I'm sure I would not have lived to be an adult if I had.

14 comments:

The W.O.W. factor said...

LOL Egghead!! I had a perfect visual..of the whole event! Sometimes I wish my Mom had been more colorful and adventurous, of course she'd be slapping me today if she had and I was finding so much humor in it!

Twisted Fencepost said...

That is so funny!
It reminds me of my Mom, after she had surgery and she was hallucinating about being on a snow mobile. I'll have to write a post about that.
Thanks for the memory!

okiesister said...

What a great blast from the past story.

Donna S. said...

I can picture it. It's something I can see myself doing (and saying)!!

-Jen said...

What a great LOL story! Thank you for sharing.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Poor Mom. lol!
Great story!

Now tell us about your own bucking snowmobile story :~D
~Lisa

Putz said...

my mom's bones were fragile so when she skidded into our busshes to stop herself on her motorcycle she broke her leg...this was at age 57....she died just after but from black lung smoking 2 packs a day and not from motorcycle racing

Kelli said...

Haha, I think every story of Grandma gets funnier... I can always just picture her doing all these crazy things! She has most definitely had an eventful life!

Mental P Mama said...

Whoa! I am laughing so hard I can't type.

rhymeswithplague said...

Tell the truth now, was it Billy Ray Barnwell's third chapter that reminded you of this incident with your mother and the snowmobile???

Linda Reeder said...

What a great story! And Poor Mom.

sugarcreekstuff said...

too funny! Thanks for the laugh.

tipper said...

This may be my favorite Mae story so far. So funny-I can just see you all watching through the window.

Flea said...

TOO funny! Love your Monday funny. :)

My daughter's name is Mae, but she's never been on a snowmobile. Hmm.