Monday, January 5, 2009

The Mae Chronicles #2

With the snow dumping down on all parts of the country lately a couple of stories have been surfacing in my memories. Of course these involve my mother, Mae (aka Mae the Mule Killer, Sugar Rae Mae, etc.).

My mother has always been a dog lover. She has had German Shepherds for as long as I can remember and she also raises Mini Schnauzers. This story involves her shepherds and her training method.

Mom had two dogs that she used to let ride in the back of her truck when she went to town to run errands. She had them trained to stay in the back while she was in stores and such. They were very well trained dogs and usually toed the line but there was just one thing that would get the best of them. One of the neighbors that lived below my parents had a couple of dogs that would run out barking and chasing the cars as they drove by. Of course this would get my mom's dogs all excited and they would jump up on the tailgate of the truck and start barking and carrying on. My mom would shout at them to shut up and get down to no avail.

This particular winter there was quite a bit of snow on the county road. It had been plowed but still remained slick from thawing during the day a little then freezing at night. Mom was on her usual trek to town when she passed the neighbors barking and car chasing dogs. As usual her own dogs began to go nuts and would not listen to her and settle down. So she decided she would teach them a lesson. The truck is moving pretty slow and as the dogs are standing on their hind legs with their paws up on the tailgate, she slams on her breaks. Of course the dogs tumble out of the truck and continue to bark. She flings open her truck door shouting to them that they need to listen and jumps out on the slick road. As her feet hit they slid out from underneath her and she fell flat on her back halfway under the truck. She told me she just lay there for a moment and then got up. In the mean time both dogs had jumped back in the truck as if they had never done anything wrong and were looking at her wondering what the heck she was doing.

What really makes me laugh is imagining what the neighbors thought as they saw her slam on her brakes, jump out, sprawl on the ground as her truck idles in the middle of the road, jump up, look at her dogs, sheepishly get in her truck and drive off.

Yep! Lesson well taught. I'm just not sure who learned the lesson, however.

13 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

That is too funny. Wonder if anybody saw it. Besides the dogs... By the way, she is beautiful.

TSannie said...

Your mom looks like a very happy, serene lady.
Good story!

Putz said...

your mom and my motorcycle, pistol packin momm, two peas that pee in the same pea patch, and your truck with barking dogs, do you have a rifle in the back window?????and does everyone in your family wear a cowboy hat and have cow shit on their cowboy boots??????

Jill said...

heh heh heh! Poor Grandma Mae :)

Tipper said...

I love love the stories about your Mother! This one is pricless. Just like a dog to jump back in and then look at you like your crazy!

Junebug said...

Awwwwwwww

Twisted Fencepost said...

I think the dogs jumped back in the truck because they knew if they didn't, they were really gonna get it!
They may be dumb but they ain't stupid!!
I know I would have!

CeeCee said...

Sounds like your mom should've been named Annie Oakley or something. She was one tough woman, but I guess living in the country requires it to a certain level.
Thanks for sharing.

rhymeswithplague said...

Very funny story! I'm glad all of my relatives are completely normal in every way. :)

Linda Reeder said...

Great story! I guess the only lesson we can sometimes teach is to ourselves.

Jeannelle said...

Oh, I could just see and hear it all happening! Good storytelling, Vonda. Your mom must be quite a spunky lady to provide such good stories.

Country Girl said...

Another funny mom story. I think they both learned a lesson. Although the dogs, not so much.

oregontribal1 said...

My mom has had some rather funny/strange incidents happen to her. I'll have to post the story on my blog. I can just see this happening....we witnessed a rather similar incident too..involving a German shepard and an Australian Shepard! What a fiasco for the Aussie anyway.