Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Anonymous


At the evening of life, we shall be judged on love.
~ St. John of the Cross

A few months after losing my daughter someone anonymously sent me this little story. I  treasure it and think about it often especially when a sadness threatens to take over. It works almost every time.  Funny how a small act can affect someone profoundly. I wonder if anonymous knows what a soothing balm he or she provided. So to anonymous, whoever you are, thank you.  It inspires me to do something small like this as often as I can. 

The Sad Little Angel

Once upon a time there was a mother whose only child died. She cried for it unceasingly. Once she was out in the field and crying again. Suddenly she saw an entire band of lovely angels flying above her, all of them young and beautiful, all of them happy and cheerful. Then the mother thought, "Oh, if only my child were also such a little angel!" And she looked to see if she could find her child in the band. But she could not see it.

Then from behind there came a little angel. It was very sad and was carrying a heavy black jug in its little hands. It was the mother's child.

The mother asked, "My child, why are you not with the happy little angels?"

"Mother," it said, "as long as you are crying I must collect your tears and cannot be happy like the others."

From that hour forth the mother cried no more.

13 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

That is one of the most poignant things I've read in quite some time. What a wonderful gift.

Twisted Fencepost said...

What a touching little story! I will remember that forever.
Thanks for sharing it!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I'm glad you were gifted this lovely story and it has given yous such a sense of peace.

(HUGS)
~Lisa

Linda Reeder said...

I'm glad this little story helps you to deal with the pain of loss.

Flea said...

Oh! That's the most beautiful thing, and especially that you received it anonymously.

asthmagirl said...

How lovely. I'm sure the anonymous sender knows how badly you needed that!

Carolynn said...

That's a beautiful, loving gift Anonymous gave you.

I have no doubt your daughter is leading a merry band of angels across the sky at this very moment and regaling everyone with stories of her Mother's love, amidst peals of laughter and impromptu dances of joy.

You are a blessing, Vonda.

Much love to you!
Carolynn

sugarcreekstuff said...

What a beautiful story, thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

tipper said...

I wish you solace everyday-every hour. I'm glad the story lifts your spirits. And I'm glad I've met you-and learned about your life-love-and loss it truly inspires me.

Farmchick said...

What a wonderful story -- and I am glad it has helped you through out your journey.

CeeCee said...

I'm so glad someone found something that really comforted you during those dark early months after your daughter died. I still stumble with what to say or do when someone dies.

The W.O.W. factor said...

Oh Vonda, this is beautiful. Would you mind if I shared it with our friends?
They would find comfort in this too.
"Mistys" memorial is Sat. and I could take it with me.

Maria said...

This is beautiful, wish I had seen this when my mother died.