Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Sweet Treat for 2009

My Hungarian grandmother would always make a sweet bread with a ground walnut filling for special occasions like Christmas, New Years, weddings and birthdays. One of the things I remember about her home was the smell of this baking. But better than the smell was the taste.
She called this special bread Kolach and I have heard it called Walnut Filled Strudel as well.

Try this in 2009. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Kolach
  • 4 cups flour
  • 4 Tbs. sugar
  • 1 cup lukewarm water
  • 2 eggs slightly beaten
  • 2 cakes yeast regular or dry
  • 1/2 cup soft butter
  • 1 tsp. salt

Crumble yeast in bowl, add water and sugar stirring till mixture liquefies. Blend flour and butter with wire pastry blender. Mix in eggs, salt and yeast. Mix until dough is smooth and leaves side of bowl clean.
DO NOT LET RISE.
Divide into four portions and roll each out in a rectangular shape; spread with filling and roll up like jelly roll. Prick roll with toothpick on top and sides to keep roll from splitting while baking.
Place in greased baking pans.
BAKE AT ONCE in 350 oven about 30 to 45 min. or until brown.

Walnut filling

  • 1 pound of freshly ground walnuts (finely)
  • 2 cups of sugar
  • 1 cup of boiled milk
  • 1/4 cup melted butter

Mix filling in bowl using only 3/4 cup of boiled milk, It should be thick. If not spreadable use the rest of milk. Divide into 4 portions, one for each dough roll-up.

These cakes can be wrapped in foil and stored in the freezer after they are baked.


Happy New Year!

21 comments:

Chicken Herder from Westville said...

this looks good I will have to try it!

Claire said...

Oh yummy! I haven't got any walnuts, but I do have almonds. Maybe I could try it with that!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Interesting. I've never heard of these.
Must try these! They sound like they could be titled a comfort food.

Mental P Mama said...

Oh my! Just what I need to start my weight loss regime;) Happy New Year to you and yours.

CeeCee said...

Why would there be any left over to freeze? :)

Kristi said...

Ahhhhh - Kolach - Sis - we love this!!! Mom always makes this for everyone at Christmas that lives here in Baker City = Ha! But I don't have the recipe, so now I do!!! My poor hips - yikes!

Carolynn said...

*smack* *smack* Hmmm...that sounds so yummy. My Ukranian grandmother is a wonderful cook too and there were always delicious cooking smells filling her home.

noble pig said...

I love it! I love walnuts too!

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Tipper said...

Looks Yum!!

Junebug said...

Oh, I will have to try this! I love bread. I love to smell it and the yeast. Happy New Year!

my word verification: unfabio hee hee

Country Girl said...

Sounds really good, Vonda! And Happy New Year to you, too!

Linda Reeder said...

Yum!
I made potato lefse today for a family heritage gathering this saturday. I'm planning a photo essy posting later,

TSannie said...

That looks wonderful!

The W.O.W. factor said...

Yum! Vonda, I made this years ago! I love it and now wonder why I haven't since...
Guess I'll have to get off my duff, eh?
Have a wonderfully bright & magical New Year!
Barb

Farmchick said...

Hi-Just out blog hopping..and found my way here. That Kolach looks yummy....I am Ukrainian (all my greatgrandparents came from Ukrainine) and we make something kind of like that. I really enjoyed reading through your blog. Stop in and visit me sometime.

DesertHen said...

That looks so darn good!! I will have to give this a try. I can't use Walnuts because they make my mouth swell and hurt, but I will try it with pecans. Thanks for sharing...=)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Well when I'm finally able leave my tower and cook in the kitchen again, I will be making this. I love strudel and sweet breads and I love walnuts, too. I wonder if raisins can be added, too? Mmm!

From the tower,
Rapunzel

Chicken Herder from Westville said...

hi again, do we use loaf pans? I am going to try and make this tomorrow.
Happy New Year!

Egghead said...

Hi Chicken Herder,

Yes loaf pans are what I have used. But I have to admit that I usually make them too big and have put them on a greased cookie sheet as well. Sometimes they split a little though.

Happy baking!

Kristi said...

I'm going to try this. Thank you!

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Hmmm...well, I kept hoping that somebody else would ask this, but sadly, I guess I'm the only cooking idiot. :-)
Just what is "cake yeast" and how would I find two of them?
I know of jarred yeast and those little envelope packets (those are what I always have on hand).
Would you please enlighten me? This sounds so yummy! :-)