Monday, December 8, 2008

Sad River

This is the Mohawk River. We sometimes drive along Old Mohawk Road on our  way home and on this day we stopped on the bridge to look at the water.

There is a mystery about this river. This is the area where Elizabeth Diane Downs shot her children killing her seven year old and wounding her other two in May of 1983.  You may remember her from a book by Ann Rule called "Small Sacrifices" which was later made into a TV mini series. The gun she used is probably somewhere in this river but was never found. 

She is up for parole tomorrow. She still claims she did not shoot her children but has now come up with a fourth version of what happened.  Sentenced to life plus 55 years in prison, if her request for parole is rejected the board will reconsider her case in two years. 

As I try to imagine purposely taking a gun, pointing it at my small children and pulling that trigger multiple times at close range, I run completely out of empathy for this woman.  There are some cases that we are wasting our time giving requests for parole. What do you think?

17 comments:

Carolynn said...

I read that book and also saw the movie. I think Farrah Fawcett played her.

The woman is obviously more than just a little insane. If I recall, at least one of the children survived. I can't imagine the emotional scars that would be left though.

Linda Reeder said...

I think that there are always reasons why people do violent things, but some things are inexcusable nevertheless.

Twisted Fencepost said...

I agree completely.
A few years back a lady drowned her two children in a lake about 30 minutes from my house. It was sad. From a mother's point of view, I never thought for a second she had done that. When I heard over the radio what she had done, I cried.

rhymeswithplague said...

The real mystery is why there is a river in Oregon named Mohawk....

The W.O.W. factor said...

I am so in agreeance with you. Sometimes our "system" wastes $$ and time needlessly!
But then..the catch 22 is, we, the taxpayers are spending how much?? keeping her alive in prison..
I remember when this happened and I was horrified! I cannot imagine anything that could cause such an act...

noble pig said...

Wow, that's quite the story...holy cow, I can't even think of something so horrible. Ugh.

Mental P Mama said...

I saw that movie. Such a sad story. How sick she must have been....

tipper said...

I just can't comprehend it at all-nor that she even comes up for parole.

Kristi said...

She's one of: horribly evil, terribly insane, or completely hopeless. Any of them are just awful, but not an excuse to be cruel.

Putz said...

any fish in sad river????????

Putz said...

it would really be sad it there were no fish in sad river,,, i am also curious about the name mohalk that sounds kind of off

Nancy Simpson said...

FROM THE HEART OF APPALACHIA

EggHead, I don't know how I got so off track. I'm looking for poetry sites. Your blog is interesting, attractive and of course, you have the news of the day. I saw the Farrah Fossett movie a number of times and still cannot begin to understand how Diane Downs killed her children. I do not believe she will get out.

Shauna said...

This story would make me sad if I wasn't a parent, and since I am a parent, it doesn't just make me sad, it makes me ache. I have no words to explain, but you seemed to capture my feelings precisely.

Deb said...

Why, oh why would our society ever consider paroling this woman? I cannot for one moment think she is capable of being rehabilitated...her mental illness goes deeper than the human mind could possibly comprehend.

My thought is she is right where she belongs, for the rest of her life.

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Did you happen to see the video footage of her speaking at her parole hearing? She is one crazy, looney lady and continues to deny that she is the one who shot her children. I agree that she is right where she needs to be. Creepy woman.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What a terribly sad story. And what an unfortunate history for that river, too.

I agree wholeheartedly with you.

~Lisa
New Mexico

threecollie said...

What a tragedy...I was astonished to see the Mohawk River and then read that you live in Oregon. We too live along the Mohawk River, only ours is in upstate NY.