Thursday, December 11, 2008

Frosty Morning

There was a most beautiful pink sunrise this morning. I ran outside in my bare feet to catch this and locked myself out.  We have a key outside so that wasn't the concern. I had to walk on the frosty ground to get to it so by the time I retrieved the key and went inside my feet were pretty tingly much to the amazement of the farmer. He says I have hooves from going barefoot so much. You would think this would teach me to wear shoes, but no. My shoes are off the moment I hit the door and they don't go on until I need to work outside or go somewhere that I need to pretend I am normal.

So pretty. So cold.

Lovely.

Then I almost stepped on this. For the last three days we were battling a wee little mouse who managed to outsmart us. Finally we put rat poison under our kitchen sink which is where we knew he was coming in. I don't like to do this because when they die there is a great possibility that they will die under the house, in the attic, walls or worse, a cat might ingest this.  But as cute as they look for some reason I just can't take them out of a trap or pick them up after they die. It really gives me the creeps. In fact if they are trapped I have to throw the entire trap away and I don't like the blood that sometimes happens. 

So I hide  him from myself until the farmer wakes up and takes care of it. This makes your day, doesn't it?

14 comments:

the7msn said...

Your gorgeous sunrise did make my day...the dead mouse, not so much. But that sight is all too familiar, and the barn cat is just doing his job. I just wish he'd leave the carcasses out in the trees instead of bringing them into the feed room.

Twisted Fencepost said...

I'm glad I didn't see the last picture first. A cup with a tail? That would have been a funny tale!
I'm not scared of them at all. It's the big ones (rats) that I don't like!!!
The sunrise is beautiful!!! Makes getting out of bed worth it, huh?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

For a moment, after seeing that dead mouse, I almost forgot about your lovely sunset photos! gah! hehe
Those photos are gorgeous!

We had a mouse infestation in our garage this past Spring. They were literally everywhere and we were tripping on them!
And then we kept smelling awful odors in one wall in our house, the one attached to the garage.

So we set up the traps and within 2 days, we caught and killed 15 mice! I can't even explain how satisfying it was to gather up those dead carcasses every few hours. I felt like the might hunter! hehe

~Lisa
New Mexico

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

That is a beautiful sunrise! Thank you for sacrificing your feet for the sake of the photo! UGH on the mouse!

Linda Reeder said...

Beautiful sun rise photos, and quite a contrast to the last two!

noble pig said...

OMG the cup just killed me.

Shauna said...

what if I am bold enough to say that I like the mouse picture more than the sunset? Well, you know I would be joking. :) BEAUTIFUL SKY!! Like a treat from Heaven. And I am a barefooted booby, I mean, babe, too!

frugalmom said...

Yeah, just cover it with a cup.
Now we dont have to think about anymore!

Out of sight out of mind, right?

Carolynn said...

There are live traps that allow you to capture the mouse and relocate him somewhere else far away from your home. That way, everyone can get on with their business and no one gets hurt. I'm just sayin'...

Farmgirl_dk: said...

OMG - you totally made me snort. :-) I am such a softy when it comes to critters, but you and I seem to be having similar battles with the rodents this year. They just need to learn to stay outside!
Oh dear...that blue cup...
My jim does mousetrap duty around here. There's never been any question about this.

DesertHen said...

What a beautiful morning sky! Great colors!!

Awwwww, lookie the little mousie is sleeping......Eeeeewwwwww! Glad its out of your house!

CeeCee said...

You just slay me!! :) Mousey under a cup.
If you'd have just slid a piece of paper under the mouse, you'd have had him in the cup and then disposed of him yourself.

Oh, and bbbrrrrrr---not wearing shoes when it's so cold outside! I not only have to have on socks, but shoes as well in the winter. Lee knows that once October comes, that I will be wearing socks to bed.

Jill said...

I'm a bare-foot kinda girl myself! And yes, the mouse is dead, but for some odd reason I still think he/she is very cute! :) he he! Though I don't think I would in person, so that's saying something. You always take the most beautiful sunrise/set pictures!!

And what does dad expect from your Fred Flintstone feet--of course they're like hooves! Fred didn't wear shoes either!

tipper said...

Beautiful cold sunrise-creepy mouse!