Saturday, December 13, 2008

A Candle Burns Today

Today this candle burns in honor of a man that I did not know extremely well. In fact the only reason I do know of him is through my eldest daughter, Kyla, who was best friends with his daughter, Cari. He passed away a few days ago and a celebration of his life is this morning. I will be there.

So why honor a man I did not know well? One of the many reasons that come to mind is the way he treated my late daughter. Cari lived with him and she and Kyla spent many countless hours at his home. He did things like encouraging them on a science project which involved keeping a mother bunny and her babies for an experiment on how lighting affected the growth of newborn rabbits. He took Kyla with them on many vacations and treated her with kindness always. Although private, he had a wonderful heart and it showed in his children.

Norm and his former wife remained close friends and spent many family times together. This family suffered a terrible tragedy when their only son was killed in a car accident at sixteen. But from this tragedy they brought forth a beautiful light. When Kyla was diagnosed with brain cancer they donated the money from their sons savings account to Kyla to help with her medical expenses. This is true selfless love and a great honor in memory of their son.

This candle has been shown before. It is the memorial candle from Kyla's celebration of life. I light this candle for all special occasions such as birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, any event really that I know Kyla would love to be at. She had a great love of family and loved to get together with everyone on these occasions.

I know she would want me to light this candle today in honor of her good friends father. At the end of the day when I blow out this light I will thank God for the life of this man and the joy and happiness that rippled because of him.

Thank you Norm.

10 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Oh Vonda, that is a moving tribute. Blessings to you.

Carolynn said...

What a lovely woman you are, Vonda. You truly have a beautifully warm, loving heart that comes through in all that you do. Thank you for introducing me to Norm.

Linda Reeder said...

.
For those of us who have only "known" you a short time, you have revealed a life tragedy of the most difficult nature. Keeping and reusing that candle is a beautiful way to celebrate the life those who have passed.

Twisted Fencepost said...

I am so sorry to hear about Norm and Kyla. I did not know of her before now.
This is a very touching post.
I am fighting back tears as I write this.
Blessing and prayer for you all!

noble pig said...

Okay that was stunning, a tribute for a beautiful life. Very touching.

Farmgirl_dk: said...

You have such a kind and gentle heart, Vonda. The candle is a wonderful gesture.

Jeannelle said...

What a moving and lovely tribute post, Vonda, for your daughter, and for Cari's father.

The kindnesses he showed were evidently his way of living his life......what a wonderful example for others.

My thoughts and prayers to all his friends and loved ones at his passing.

TSannie said...

That was wonderful. A beautiful tribute to a wonderful man.

tipper said...

I can see why you'd want to honor Norm. Always such a wonderful thing when others are good to our kids. I love her candle-and all the meaning behind it.

Michelle at Boulderneigh said...

Because of today's post (7/18/09), I am reading back through your posts on Kyla to learn what you have shared. This post on Norm says as much about YOU, and your loving heart, as it does Norm. And although it's three years late, I am so very sad about the loss of your daughter and the hole you must bear in your heart....