Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Some Donkey Love

Every Tuesday we keep our three-year-old granddaughter over night while her big sister gets to spend some one on one time with her daddy. So as we do every Wednesday morning farmer and I are driving to work with our little person in the back on her way to preschool. It is about a twenty minute drive on a good day through the countryside and one of our favorite things to do is to spot the cows, horses, donkeys, chickens, sheep and such in the fields. This morning was no exception....well maybe a slight exception.

Farmer and I were talking about a horse boarding ranch that was up for sale and all of a sudden we hear a little voice excitedly pipe up with, "Look at those donkeys". She starts giggling and said, "Isn't that funny Grandad? That donkey is jumping on the other one to play." As usual the farmer handles these situations with such dignity and grace. He first blushes and then looks at me and stammers and hems and haws never really answering her. Because she is very "persistent" she just keeps repeating the message to him probably thinking his hearing is bad. He turns to me as I am driving with a helpless look or pleading in his eyes to save him.

I burst out laughing and said, "Yes pumpkin they are playing very nicely". Now I just hope she doesn't share any details with her teachers at preschool.

11 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

Oh, my! I hate those situations.
You done exactly as I would, leave it up the the Mr.
Of course, there are times when he stammers and I have to handle it. I hate it when that happens!

DesertHen said...

That is too funny....=) Poor Farmer....he, he. My Hayman hands those types of situations right over to me....then I have to think quickly to supply an answer that the little ones will accept.

I hope the preschool class didn't get a lesson on donkey's today.....=)

noble pig said...

Oh you know she did! Don't they always tell everything!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! That's funny.

My 5 year old noticed 2 months ago that our roosters were getting a little hen nooky. One of them is very aggressive about it, grabbing with his beak and holding on tight with his claws. Poor hens.

My daughter said, "Mama, those roosters are playing really rough".

For a while I just agreed with her, but then she expected me to go teach them a lesson on how to 'play nice'. So I had to tell her, "Honey, the roosters are mating with the hens. That's how chicks are created"

I then expected her to ask more about mating and why we didn't have any chicks (uh...honey we eat them before they grow into chicks. gah!), and so on.

Instead, she just answered, "Well, Mama, they still aren't mating very nicely"

And I had to agree.

lol!

~Lisa
New Mexico

frugalmom said...

She for sure thought that those donkeys were playing and having a nice time! And I bet she had to tell all her friends, too. Do 3 year olds ever hold anything back?

oregontribal1 said...

Holy cows...that is too funny for words!! I once had to explain to my then 8 year old daughter what our "roosters" were doing at the time....the problem was that there were 3 roosters and no HENS!!!!
My folks made sure we got some hens the very next day!!!

Putz said...

oh egghead, you really are an egghead from the farm aren't you??

tipper said...

Very funny! We live near a huge cattle farm-so I've had the same experience!

Kristi said...

Maybe the schools should just take the seventh graders to a farm.

My chickens have allowed wonderful opportunities for this type of conversation with my girls. My daughters are with Laughing Orca's daughter. They're still not to happy about the "mean roosters", but they did get to see chicks hatching.

Poor Farmer! Hee hee hee

Mental P Mama said...

Oh those donkeys. They are always so playful;)

CeeCee said...

Yes, we experienced animals giving each other "piggy back rides" when our kids were much littler.