Sunday, November 30, 2008

Question Of The Day

I ate too much. Yes I ate too much for three days straight.

I didn't want to feel like this waddling turkey any longer.

In an effort to counteract the waddles I took a walk in the field below our house.

While there I came upon this bird. Actually there were a pair but one flew off. These birds have occasionally been in our yard for the past few months. I have never seen them around here before and I have no idea what they are.

Any idea what he could be? Cute little devil isn't he?

**Note: Danni from On the way to Critter Farm, smart girl that she is, identified my little friend. He is a red shafted Northern Flicker. Yes he is a woodpecker but one of the interesting facts I learned is that the Flicker usually prefers to eat ants on the ground. This is why I always see him on the ground and not pecking our house or trees like all the other woodpeckers. We even have one variety that pecks anything remotely metal...rain gutters, wood stove pipes, metal gates.....you get my drift.

Thanks everyone!

16 comments:

chickadee@afamiliarpath said...

it is precious! now i'm curious as to what kind it is. i love to identify birds. how wonderful that you caught it in a photo.

Junebug said...

That is a beautiful bird. I would say it's some kind of woodpecker. ?

Farmgirl_dk: said...

It is a type of woodpecker known as a Northern Flicker. An absolutely beautiful bird...they make the most interesting ki ki ki sound, too. One of my faves. Great shot!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Looks like a woodpecker to me.
Very pretty woodpecker, too!

Mental P Mama said...

A flicker...beautiful birds;)

Putz said...

so what is the queustion????

DesertHen said...

It's a woodpecker. We had a pair at the old house we used to live in....there were lots of trees around it and these guys would show up in the fall. Great photos....=) Haven't seen them in years now as we don't have a single tree around us now!!

Farmgirl_dk: said...

http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Birds/Likely/likely-Flicker-Northern.html

:-)

Linda Reeder said...

We have these flickers here, too, and love them. They are beautiful and fun to watch.

Egghead said...

Thanks everyone. Both my husband and I thought he might be a woodpecker but couldn't seem to find a picture of this one. Danni, you win the major smart prize. Thank you for identifying him as a red shafted Northern Flicker.

noble pig said...

Yeah my guess was a woodpecker, so beautiful, I haven't seen any like that either.

tipper said...

Me too!! Cute bird.

Jeannelle said...

Oh, what great captures of the flicker! Beautiful! We have seen them around here in the past, too.

Carolynn said...

Beautiful bird! You're blessed to have them visit you so often.

The W.O.W. factor said...

Love your setting Egghead! It so looks like where our sons ex-fiances parents live! (I do believe you are in the same area)
We have flickers too, and I see them on tree trunks seeking the bugs...not pecking away at the bark, or I have to chase them off. I love watching birds!

Em said...

Wow, great job catching that bird with your camera - it's beautiful!