Saturday, November 22, 2008

Memories

Sometimes a photo can bring me back in time to things my heart treasures. I recently looked at a photo on Jeanelle's blog of some cats drinking fresh milk in a dish and it brought back a couple of memories.

As a child we never bought milk because we were lucky enough to have fresh milk. My father raised several beef and we had at least one milk cow that provided plenty of milk not just for our large family of nine but enough to sell to the neighbors as well. Our cow was milked twice a day following calving and Dad told me once that a good milk cow could provide enough milk in a week to fill a bathtub. Of course I used to go into my daydream trance and imagine splashing around in a large tub filled with that frothy milk concoction.

The sites, smells and sounds of that time are still embedded in my memory. I can hear the sound of the first few squirts of milk hitting the bottom of the milk pail. I can hear the radio playing, calming the cow so she would let down her milk. The smell of bag balm, the sound of the cow munching her grain, the cats sitting near by waiting for the squirt of milk to fly through the air and the smell of fresh hay in our big old barn take me back to a time so much simpler. A time where the biggest worry in my life was getting my chores done so I could play, get lost in a good book, or later primp and daydream about a date.

Of course I could also go into detail about the downside of this as well. Like the smell of the fresh manure which had to be washed out of the milk area, the cat throwing up a hairball, the early morning hours and my arm muscles bulging like the incredible hulk from milking as a teen. But just in case those boys I won at arm wrestling in school read this I will refrain from embarrassing them.

I kid, I kid. I didn't arm wrestle. I just knocked them out. That's how I got a date.

14 comments:

Carolynn said...

Hmmmm...that sounds like heaven to me - cow manure & hairballs included.

TSannie said...

I'm with Carolynn....heaven.

And I do admire your dating technique. ;-)

Putz said...

almost everything brings back a memory to me...that is what happens when you get to 66..more is behind, but i am really going to hate to leave this world

Twisted Fencepost said...

Scents and sounds I long for today.
Life was much simpler and harder at the same time.
It was better.
And I did arm wrestle. And won!
Always have been strong for a girl. It surprises most.

noble pig said...

I remember seeing cows milked at the fair and I was so turned off...I didn't want to drink milk after that. I am such a city girl I guess. I still think it's strange that as humans we drink another's mammals milk...but I still do it of course!

Junebug said...

That brings back the same memories for me. We always had fresh milk too. I'm remembering the cream and making butter. This was a chore I didn't have to do with my three older brothers but Dad did teach me how to milk a cow. I loved the barn. So much fun sitting up in the loft. And riding horses. And baling hay. And playing along the creek. It is funny how many things remind me of the past now too. I get really nostalgic. Thanks for your stuffing info too.

The W.O.W. factor said...

Hmm..You can always paint a sweet peaceful picture to conjure up the memories of childhood~then Bam~you throw a curve ball and bring me out of my nostalgic state into belly roars with laughter!
Thanks Egghead!!

Dana said...

Country life sure has its ups and downs. :)

Linda Reeder said...

I have so many of the same memories of growing up on a small farm in the Willammette Valley. I didn't learn to milk the cow because I didn't want to have to do it. I would rather help in the kitchen. But I certainly accompanied my dad enough times, and like you, those memories are still vivid.

tipper said...

So amazing how smells and sounds are tied to our memories. Your writing made me feel like I was in that barn too.

Mental P Mama said...

I had a good friend who lived on a dairy farm. I loved the barn during milking time. All those cows and their luscious milk! Heaven.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Vonda,
You're my hero :)

~Lisa

CeeCee said...

I've always been fascinated by the scent/memory idea. Some memories come rushing back with scent, no matter how long ago they took place.

I'll bet you still have great arms. :)

the7msn said...

Have I thanked you lately for following my blog? It may seem like I've got a funny way of showing it, changing my blog address the day before my first giveaway and screwing up everybody's links. What an idiot I can be...Anyway, if you haven't had a chance to enter the giveaway because you can't find it, try the old address, http://the7msn.blogspot.com , and be sure to enter. Blogger assures me the pointers will be going in the right direction soon.