Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Little Joy

I often whistle or hum mindlessly as I go about my day. It is so mindless that I never even realize I am doing it until someone gives me a smile or a funny look.  Yesterday an older gentleman was walking toward me as I walked toward the building I work in. As I passed him he reached out and touched my arm as if to ask me a question. Not really unusual as many people ask directions to various buildings on campus but he had a rather huge grin on his face and said to me, "Thank you". It did not register why some random stranger on the street would tell me thank you when I was not aware of doing anything worth being thanked for. So I said, "You are very welcome, but thank you for what?" 

For a minute I thought I might be on candid camera so I primped my hair, stood up straight and gave him my best smile. He said, "I walk this route every day and not only do people not look me in the eye but either they are so busy on their phones or whatever, half the time they walk directly in to me. It is so refreshing to hear a happy whistle and see a smile from another human on a rainy day such as this." 

Well this made my day but it also made me think.  It is pretty sad that we don't acknowledge other humans that are mingling around us on a daily basis. We are all here in this world together so this is just another reminder that I need to make that eye contact and smile at people. You never know what effect you will have on those around you.  

Who wants to be on candid camera anyway?

10 comments:

TSannie said...

What a lovely story! That made me feel very good.

Rose said...

A nice story...and we really never know what a smile will do for someone. One time I started to go down a wrong-way street, and caught myself...I was going slow. And there was an on-coming car...she smiled real big at me...well, maybe laughed. She knew I caught myself...but that was so much better than another gesture I can think of. But that was before all the road rage...

DesertHen said...

What a wonderful feel good story.Thank you for sharing it. We should all make a point to connect with those around us, even if it is just a smile, a simple hello or even holding the door for someone. The simplest of things really can brighten someones day and even our own.....

CeeCee said...

Great story! So glad for both you and the old man.
I have the same thing happen with the homeless people that come to our church breakfast program. I'll often give the regulars a hug. The first time I do it, some are taken aback--"I haven't been hugged in so long!" Just a genuine smile makes all the difference in the world.

Country Girl said...

Vonda, I love stories like this. Thanks so much for sharing. And isn't it a good feeling when you're feeling so good that other people notice (even though you don't)?

Twisted Fencepost said...

Smiling at people is something I do on a regular basis. And it tickles me when someone actually smiles back.
You wouldn't believe how many people will avert their eyes.
Sometimes it really frustrates me when I smile at several people and they look away or even give me a dirty look.
It's nice to know there are some people in this world who also smile their way around their day!

Linda Reeder said...

This is a great reminder.
I often smile and look at others, and I frequently get a smile back.

Ellyn said...

Great story. It is very refreshing to see other people with a smile on their face. I think we get so caught up on internal emotions that we forget the face we project to the world.

Thanks so much for stopping by and helping with my project this month. I appreciate you passing the word too.

tipper said...

Neat post! You know we should take more time to smile at folks or say hello in passing. It works both ways making the helloer and the helloee feel good!

The W.O.W. factor said...

This is great Egghead. While Cowboy was gone to the 'burbs of Seattle, that is ONE huge thing that made him soooo uncomfortable! NO ONE acknowledges anyone! Even in his classes...the other 8 were in their own little world! Here? even if you don't know them, EVERYONE smiles, waves or says Hello! Can't imagine living in an "unfriendly" world again. We did in AZ for 5 yrs and it was HORRIBLE!