Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I Smell A Rat

Or a mouse. Or a skunk. Or a possum. Or a pig, goat, cow, horse, elephant or perhaps a human.

Well there is SOMETHING!! Something must be dead under our house. I noticed this terrible smell outside as I was blowing the leaves off of our back deck Sunday night. That is after the wet mess of leaves, dirty water and fir needles were blown down on my head from the farmer on the roof. We thought we would be smart and use two blowers, he on the roof to clear the crap debris and I, Egghead for sure, on the decks blowing off all that came down. However, little did we think about the fact that you can't hear where the other person is if you have a blower going. But I digress. This story is about something dead.

I came home from work last night and I now noticed that same foul smell in the back hallway by and in the bedrooms. Something or someone has died under the house. So I call farmer who is taking care of his father for a night or two and tell him that there is a terrible odor coming from the heat vents. He said, "Well you can get a flashlight and crawl under the house and see if you can see anything obvious".

Are you kidding? Well I will be wearing this until he comes home and then it is all his.



Actually in the meantime the Hilton Hotel or the Motel 6 is looking mighty fine.

15 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

I am so with you on this one. Make sure you choose a place with room service;) By the way, my veriword is "rashnest."

Farmgirl_dk: said...

We have been struggling with this, on average, about once a month since we moved in. Little critters like to get in, little critters then can't find their way out. The stench is unbelievable.

Commiserating with you from her own rank, foul-aired dwelling, danni

Putz said...

i live between two turkey farms...you guys really just don't know smell, you think you do, but you just don't know smell

Kristi said...

No way, I wouldn't crawl under the house either! You never know what you might find. A friend of mine found an alligator under her porch when she went to investigate a noise.

My mother had a horrible stench in her guest house and thought it must be a dead rat. We hunted and hunted. Then we opened a plastic bag. Gag, gag, gag,...My mother had accidentally misplaced a pound of ground meat when cleaning out her freezer.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Poor you. And I don't think clothes pins on the nose are all that effective either.

We had a mouse infestation last Spring, and several had died in the wall. The stench was awful. I hope that never happens again.
And I hope whatever it is that is stinking up your place, stops really fast. :P

~Lisa
New Mexico

Jeannelle said...

Oh, that must be frustrating! We haven't had this happen for a long time.....knock on wood. Good luck trying to locate the smell's origin. I wouldn't crawl under the house, either! Hopefully, if nothing else, the odor will just disappear on its own.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Oh, I feel for ya!
I used to live in a house that skunks liked to get under. They didn't die, but it sure smelled like they did!

TSannie said...

Like I would EVER crawl under a house! Perish the thought! I'd die of a heart attack before the first "step". Never, I tell you NEVER!

Hope the smell flees soon!

Jill said...

Gross!

Linda Reeder said...

I wouldn't crawl under the house even it there wasn't something dead under there!
Hope the stench subsides soon.

rhymeswithplague said...

We once had a possum die in our attic, in the eaves over our master bedroom. It was a horrible smell! But Putz is right, the absolute worst smell I ever smelled was a turkey farm. That will really clear out your sinuses! I can't even begin to imagine what two would do.

rhymeswithplague said...

We don't live in that house any more.

The W.O.W. factor said...

Oh dear…You too?? For about 2 months now, we’ve been having dead mice in the walls between our bedroom and bath! The worst of the smell is on MY side of the bed, and it lasts about 2 weeks! GAG!!!
Then..all is clear for about a week or 2…then all over again! I am so sick of that smell!
I’m about to tear all the sheetrock off! Go for the “STUD” look in decor!
I’ve been sleeping with the window open over my head…just so my nose has some “healthy” air to breathe!
Never mind the fact that is only 20 degrees or so!
Good luck…(can I send mine down to you?? I don’t have a gas mask like you do! hehee!)

tipper said...

I hope you figure it out-or it rots away before Turkey day!!

noble pig said...

OMG what was it?