Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Oh Pea!

I love to find quick, easy and tasty side dishes to go along with a main course. A couple of years ago I found the perfect way to fix frozen green peas. It only takes minutes to make and it has been my friend at many company dinners from birthdays to holidays.

Begin by chopping three to four scallions or green onions as my family call them.

Finely chop two cloves of garlic. I love fresh garlic and the way it smells as it is cooking.

This is the secret ingredient for this dish. Before this I had never really used Marjoram but I am telling you this has such a unique taste.

The main star is the frozen peas. I use petite peas because those are our favorites but do not use canned peas. They will be a mushy paste by the time you are through.

Sauté the scallions and garlic in 3 tablespoons of butter for just a few minutes. You don't want to over cook these because the garlic can burn easily. Smell that? Oh garlic!

I usually use fresh mushrooms but I only had canned. I used one small can but if you want more then add more. If they are fresh I sauté them with the scallions and garlic until tender. Once you have done this add 1 tablespoon Marjoram and a healthy pinch of kosher salt.

Last add one bag of frozen peas in the pan and cook on medium until they are heated through. Probably around four minutes. These are the best.

OK, now I'm hungry.

13 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

'Oh Pea'...is definetely better than 'Oh Poo'! lol!

Your pea recipe sounds delish!

~Lisa

Mental P Mama said...

I love peas! This looks delicious.

CeeCee said...

Uh YUM!! I wish my family would eat peas. Even my DH won't eat them---has bad childhood memories of canned peas and no dessert. :)
Maybe I'll make a batch, just for myself. It's a recipe that can be easily shrunk.

tipper said...

I will be trying this!! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

rhymeswithplague said...

Vonda! As I was reading this post, the background changed from white to brown! If you really meant to do that, please also change the *words* from black to something much lighter! I can't read black on brown!

Thanks!

[entering state of suspended animation until ???]

frugalmom said...

Looks good...and I bet it smells great when youre cooking it, too. Just so happens that peas and mushrooms are my husbands least favorite things! More for me, I say.

Carolynn said...

I love a delicious recipe and if it's simple and easy to make without exotic ingredients, so much the better. I'll definitely make this one. Great photos, btw. It's not easy to shoot food.

rhymeswithplague said...

That's much better! I like the new look of your blog....

DesertHen said...

This recipe sounds so good. We love peas here, not the canned ones, they are gross, but fresh or frozen peas are on my menu often. I checked the pantry and I have everything to make this for tonights dinner.......I do believe my family is going to love it....=)

Jill said...

Num! :) I love these peas!

Country Girl said...

Oh, I love peas, Vonda!! And what is up with this bee-you-tee-ful blog? I love what you've done with the place . . .

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

This looks good minus the mushrooms!

The W.O.W. factor said...

Oh yum We happen to like EVERY ingredient here! Think it'll be on the table tomorrow for supper!