Thursday, October 30, 2008

Lazy

Every once in a while I am stopped in my tracks and reminded of how lazy we as a society have become. I usually just ignore the fact that we have all these things that really make our lives so much easier than our ancestors. Like the remote control. Do you remember back in the day that if you wanted to turn channels you could not sit there and pretend your legs were painted on but had to actually get UP and WALK to the television and turn the knob? No not press a button but use the wrist action and turn the knob. Oh, and we only had three channels at our house and those were grainy at best because we country bumpkins were not on cable.  We used an antennae. 

What brought this to my attention was the fact that I dropped the remote control and one of the battery connectors broke off. So until we buy another remote I have been forced to turn channels the old fashioned way.  A few weeks ago I was looking for a channel with one of the presidential debates. I knew the time but I could not remember what station.  I kept turning channels and after a while my back began to hurt and I was becoming irritated.  So I gave up.

Next thing I know farmer walks in the room and looks at me laying on my back on the floor with a pillow under my head.  He asks me what I'm doing and I reply "why I'm changing channels" as I hit the channel button repeatedly with my big toe. He just rolled his eyes. 

Isn't this how every lazy American channel surfs?

So now to get that vision of my big old toe out of your head I leave you with these.


This is an arrangement that was given to me as a thank you for arranging a three day conference at work.  Isn't it beautiful?

Just a close up of one of the roses. Awwww. Better than a stinky toe.

10 comments:

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Ah ha ha ha! But you're not lazy at all - you were simply exercising your toes...the same toes that would have had absolutely NO workout had you been using your fingers to do the channel changing. And how efficient of you to rest your aching back at the same time. You're a multi-tasker, too, just like me! :-)

frugalmom said...

Ahhhahahahah! I so remember those TV's. I seem to remember, too, that as the youngest of 4 kids...I was the one to get up and turn the big knob and adjust the rabbit ears....or on some days stand there and keep touching the rabbit ears so that the station came in just well enough to see it!

I think given the situation...you were just utilizing your resources!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Oh, yeah, thanks for removing that big toe vision. The flowers are much better.
And yes, I remember 3 channels and a knob you turned. Don't miss them a bit.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Nope, it didn't work.

That rose still looks like a toe with old fungus yellow toenails.

I swear Vonda, everytime I come visit you here, you always make me leave with a smile.

Thank you, my friend :)

~Lisa

noble pig said...

Yeah and remember when we actually used to chop lettuce and it was not in a bag! Hilarious and a beautiful arrangement!

The W.O.W. factor said...

LOL! And a coat hanger...ya know, those metal kind that had so many uses?...antennae was one! Us 4 kids fought over being the furthest away...but you are right, with only 3 channels to choose from, why switch it.
I don't watch TV much (maybe...3 hours/week) and laugh everytime Cowboy cannot find the remote, wastes more energy and footsteps looking for it than if he'd have used the 'manual' buttons!
Happy Halloween Egghead!

Country Girl said...

Beautiful flowers, Vonda! And I am laughing out loud imaging you on the floor on your back and changing channels with your big toe!!!!!

Carolynn said...

Too funny. Based on this standard, I'm still living in the dark ages. I don't have cable, I use an antennae, and my old, old, old remote is practically useless. The reception is crappy in the extreme, so it's no surprise that I watch very little tv anymore.

CeeCee said...

Toes need exercise too! :)

It's funny about the remote---we have one TV that actually doesn't have any exterior buttons. If you lose the remote, you're dorked!

Nobody gives me flowers. ;(

Kelli said...

AHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That is hilarious!!! Oh and the flowers are pretty too!