Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cookie Baking

When my children were small our tradition was to bake cookies for holidays and frost them. As they got older at Christmas time we would have their friends over for a cookie decorating party and the kids would take home their own decorated cookies. I have always used my maternal grandmothers sugar cookie recipe because it is not your traditional crispy sugar cookie. It is a very soft and moist cookie that we have always loved. I actually prefer to eat it plain with no frosting. It is that good.

BUT what fun would it be if they were plain and the kids couldn't make a huge mess rolling out the dough and slapping colored frosting and candy on everything in sight.

The big kids still like to get involved. Here Kelli and Jill are pretending to help the little guys.

Emma is a pro now. She and I have baked cookies together for almost eight years.

There is always new little people beginning the tradition. Here we have the Byron the dough eater first boy grandchild helping.

Last we have the pouter Lucy. You have to always have a pouter don't you?


Grandma Tarvin's Soft Sugar Cookies

4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
3/4 cup sour cream

Cream butter and sugar.  Stir in vanilla and add eggs one at a time and mix until light and fluffy.  After whisking flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together, add it alternately with sour cream two to three portions at at time.  Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for at least an hour.

This dough is a little sticky so we use plenty of flour to roll out about 3/4 inch and cut into desired shapes. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 350ยบ for about 12 minutes.  Let cool on baking rack and ice as desired.


Basic Icing for Cookies

3 cups confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Dash of salt
Combine sugar, milk, vanilla and salt; mix well. Add food coloring. Frost cookies. Add candy sprinkles if desired. Will frost approximately 5 dozen cookies.

10 comments:

DesertHen said...

Those cookies are so cute and yummy looking.....:D Looks like everyone had fun....well except maybe the pouter......*wink. I bet she enjoyed eating those cookies......=)

The recipe you posted sounds like what my mom has been looking for....she wanted to make a sugar cookie like her grandmother use to make,so we have been on a quest to find one. Mom is 79 years young and has very fond memories of cooking making with her own Grandmother. You are creating wonderful memories with your grandchildren.

noble pig said...

What an interesting recipe with the sour cream. I will try this one this year.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Well, gee whiz! I've still got decorating to do, a pumpkin to carve...
And now I HAVE to make iced Halloween cookies?! Thanks.
tee hee
Thanks for sharing your recipe!!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Cute family photos, Vonda!

I love me a good sugar cookie, especially one that can be eaten with all that gooey frosting.

I'll still have to make the frosting for my kids, though. :)

Thanks for the recipe.

~Lisa

Jill said...

Mmmmm...I'm ready for more! This weekend good for another cookie party? ;)

CeeCee said...

Hooray, a great sugar cookie recipe just when I need one. I was trying to think of a simple cookie that I need to take to a memorial service for a gentleman at our church. Sugar cookie popped into my mind, and here's the perfect recipe.

Again, I know you aren't old enough by a many decades, but will you be my grandma? :)

Kristi said...

I let the "girls make" gingerbread houses every year. It's really hard to pretend to "just help them". It's so much fun. I want to take over! I'm going to try your cookie recipe with the girls. I bought some really cute cookie cutters this summer up north and I want to try them. Thanks.

rhymeswithplague said...

I am going to try to talk Mrs. RWP into making those cookies, icing and all! You wouldn't want to see how a kitchen looks after I've been in there.

tipper said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe-I'm going to try this with the girls :)