Saturday, November 1, 2008

Comfort Food

There is just something about a warm and soothing soup that feeds the heart and soul especially if you are under the weather. Fall finds me back in the kitchen making farmer this great chicken bisque. When we were first married there was a restaurant called Chris's Woodshed that we used to frequent on special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries. It has long been closed but they used to serve a chicken bisque almost exactly like this. It took several years to tinker with this recipe and finally come up with something much like we would have when we were celebrating. Now we can celebrate any time and so can you.

Begin by cutting up a two to three pound stewing hen. You can cook this whole as well but it cooks a little quicker if cut up. To this add two to three grated carrots, three stalks of celery chopped, one onion diced, salt, pepper and season salt. Boil chicken in enough water to cover (around 16 cups) until meat is tender and falling off the bone. Sorry I didn't show you a photo of a bloody raw chicken but my hands were too messy to touch my camera.

A watched pot never boils. At least that is what my mother always told me. But I have to watch because I have burned far too many meals by not watching. Not that you do that. I just have a small wee problem with distraction.

Once the chicken is fork tender remove and set aside to cool a bit. Reserve eight cups of chicken stock more or less. This will be added back in soon. Be sure to keep all the cooked vegetables in there as it adds to the flavor of the soup.

Over medium heat make a butter roux by melting 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter and slowly adding 1 cup of flour and whisking for a short time to cook off the flour taste. Be careful you don't burn or scorch. At this point begin adding reserved chicken stock slowly, whisking all the while to keep it smooth and creamy. Sometimes I use the full eight cups and sometimes I use more or less depending on how thick it is. When I made this it took a little over eight cups. The consistency should be thick and creamy.

After removing the chicken from the bones rough tear or chop the meat and add it back into the soup.

At this point taste to see if you need to add more salt or pepper. See how creamy and delicious this looks. Remove from heat to keep from scorching. Serve immediately.

Oh this is good and very filling.


Serve up with some nice crispy bread. This is all you need to make you feel warm and safe this winter.

CHICKEN BISQUE SOUP

2 pound stewing hen (fryer)
Enough water to cover (16 cups)
3 Tablespoons salt
Season salt to taste (I used around 2 Tbs.)
3 celery stocks
3 carrots
1 large onion
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper


Boil chicken, water, salt, pepper, season salt, celery, carrots and onions until chicken is tender and can be pulled off the bone.

Reserve 8 or more cups chicken stock.

Make a butter roux by melting 1/2 cup butter then slowly adding 1 cup of flour and whisking for a short time to cook off the flour taste. Be careful not to burn or scorch.

Begin slowly whisking in the reserved stock to the butter roux over medium heat. Keep adding stock until it is a thick and creamy consistency. Add in chopped chicken and salt and pepper to taste. Stir constantly.

10 comments:

the7msn said...

What a great twist on plain old chicken soup. Thanks for doing all the experimentation to get it just right - I'm definitely adding this recipe to my file.

Twisted Fencepost said...

That looks delicious! I'll have to try it sometime, for sure.
I love soup. The Captain, not so much. I'll have to fix him some Philly Steak sandwiches when I make this soup.

Donna Boucher said...

This looks absolutely delicious!
Thank you!

DesertHen said...

Oh my, oh my, oh my...that looks wonderful, heavenly, out of this world! I love making homemade soups, so I will be giving this one a try. Thank you for your sweet comment this morning....I feel a bit better today, but I do fear that my fridge/freezer has gone capoot for good!! Now I must figure out what to do for the next several days until I can get to town to see about a new one.

tipper said...

Sounds divine! Especially on a cold winter night!

CeeCee said...

Uh, YUM!
Can I come for dinner next time you make it? I'll bring the bread and dessert.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Mmmm....this sounds sublime!

I plan on making this during our cold winter for sure.

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful recipe with us :)

~Lisa

The W.O.W. factor said...

Egghead...Yummy! Thank you for the recipe! I KNOW this is one Cowboy will love for sure!
I love to experiment cooking..re-create what a fav meal in a restaurant was...sometimes it comes out better! Do you think yours is better now that you've 'worked' it? My problem then is I don't ever write anything down...so each time I have to "wing it"..
(BTW...thx for not showing a photo of the chicken prep...just about to take my roast and taters out of the oven and plan to enjoy...)
:)
Hope you are having a relaxing Sunday!

Kelli said...

What?! Did I miss out on this???? I'm never leaving again!

Kristi said...

That sounds so yummy. I will be making it soon. It sounds so much more interesting than plain chicken soup.