Thursday, September 11, 2008

Peeping Something

Here it is 3:30 in the morning. I am wide awake.

We sleep with our bedroom windows open. A few nights ago I heard something just outside our window.  It sounded like sniffing and snorting.  I froze and listened. I thought that a peeping Tom was out there. I rose slowly and went to another bedroom and looked out the window but did not see anything. Still I heard the snorting and sniffing. What could this be? Perhaps a dog? So I clapped and shouted but all I had to show for that was sore hands.  Listening closely I still heard heavy breathing...mostly sniffing sounds.  I went to the living room and opened the sliding glass door and turned on our motion light. There looking at me was a doe with her twin fawns sniffing my new plants.  I chased them away and saw that they had been munching again. These are deer resistant plants. This time of year because everything is drying up they seem to eat what they normally won't eat other times of the year. 

So this morning I hear this again. In my half groggy state I thought it was the farmer sniffing my perfume snoring softly again.  As I struggled to wake completely I realize it is my peeping deer yet again.

12 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Deer resistant! LOL. I actually gave up and just started feeding them.

Kristi said...

Ok sis - way too early to be up!!!

Kristi said...

Twins!!! Do seeing the deer compensate for the lost plants? I have so much catching up to do. No electricity for 9 days. I enjoyed the post on your grandparents. I love the west and those who braved such danger to settle there. It just seemed to attract such brave tough people.

Carolynn said...

I would think that I'd died and was in heaven if I got up to find deer outside my door! I'm the polar opposite on this point. If there was even the most remote chance that a deer would stop by for a visit, I'd be planting all kinds of tasty treats for them.

DesertHen said...

We lived in Idaho many years ago. Our house was located on a little hill overlooking a nature conservancy......the deer would come right up to our door to sample my flowers or the veggies in the garden. My hubby would bring loads of hay home each evening for morning feeding of the cattle.....the deer would find the hay on the truck during the night and munch away until early morning. It was fun to watch them and to hear them jump off and on the back of the truck........good luck with your peeping doe.

Jill said...

Twins! How sweet! Though you couldn't possibly pay me enough to be up at 3:30 in the morning (if such a time really, truly does exist), I wish I could have seen them! I was getting a little creeped out by the sniffing sounds, though--I would never have been brave enough to go investigate! That's why I married W--he has to be good for SOMEthing! :)

Twisted Fencepost said...

oh, peeping deer. I would feed them just to get to watch them!

tipper said...

Peeping deer is just too funny-but I'm sorry they're eating your plants.

CeeCee said...

I love the deer resistant plants. A master gardener once told me that deer get together every winter for hot chocolate and make that list up themselves. LOL!

Jeannelle said...

Oh, too bad such graceful animals can be annoying pests! Here there are deer out in the fields, but I've never seen one near the house yard. You must have woods close by.

noble pig said...

Oh no, I thought they wouldn't do that!

We are going to install 8 foot deer fences on our Oregon Property, we have no choice. There is also a herd of 100 elk that run our land, great right?

Twinville said...

What no proverbial 'deer in the headlights' photo, with red eyes and all, to share? Darn.

Well ya know how I feel about twins right? Awww! There is nothing cuter.

I'd love having night time visitors like that, too.

hehe, I love what CeeCee said. Funny!

~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
New Mexico