Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Sister Made Me Do It

Have you ever said this about your sister or brother? Being the third child out of seven I spent most of my youth perfecting this statement. But to defend myself, she did. 

My older sister and I went to the coast a week ago for a few days. While there we baked potatoes for dinner and she put taco seasoned ground beef on top of the potato along with cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo and guacamole. The pico de gallo and guacamole I made using the Pioneer Woman's recipes but the rest was her idea. She had to drag me kicking and screaming to eat this. She forced me, really.

So the point is that it was really good and really bad. It was so good tasting and really bad for our diets. She told me that she made the seasoning for the ground beef from scratch and kept it in a jar. Much better tasting, no preservatives, cheaper and you can change it up with other flavors if you like.  I did this in about two minutes on Sunday. 

So using the above ingredients I proceeded to measure each item. I doubled the batch because we use this quite often. The ingredient in the cup is cornstarch.

After measuring into a bowl, whisk it all together.

Pour into an jar with a tight lid.  See how easy this is? 

Taco Seasoning Mix
1/4 cup instant minced onion
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons oregano

Mix all ingredients together and place in a clean jar with a tight lid.

Use 2 tablespoons of mix per pound of ground beef, chicken or turkey (I use 3 tablespoons because we like it a bit more spicy). 

After browning meat, add seasoning and  3/4 cup water. Simmer until water has evaporated and the mix thickens.



12 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

Thanks for sharing that. I'm gonna try it. I have a little of my mother's instincts. (a little of this and a little of that) Sometimes I repeat my recipe, sometimes not.

Twinville said...

Tell your sister, thank you from me, please.
And thank you for sharing it here on your blog.

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm always having to remember to buy those little packets of taco seasoning at the store. And when I don't have it I get lazy and just use chile powder.
Never tastes the same.

This recipe will become a common staple in my house, you can believe that. We live on Mexican and New Mexico style foods. :)

~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
New Mexico

Jill said...

Num! This sounds rad on a baked potato! I need to try it out now! :) Thanks Ma!

CeeCee said...

Yum! Don't you love it when you can figure out a way to make something that comes prepackaged.
I started making my own chili powder a year ago, and now my family won't let me buy the prepackaged stuff.

noble pig said...

How cool! I love make your own spices!

Dana said...

Brillant! I'm gonna do that tomorrow.

Adventure girl wanna be said...

That's cool and easy.

Thanks for stopping by!

Omg! Did you read that I want to live and a farm and have chickens???

Come back anytime! I am adding you under my farm blog list;)

DesertHen said...

I am going to make this....we use a lot of taco seasoning around here and I'm never happy with what I get from the store.

Those baked potatoes sounded yummy.....=)

Pamela said...

You know, I've found that there's not much that doesn't taste good on top of a baked potato. I've done extensive research and have the....errrr......rear to prove it. :)

Julie Andrea said...

Thanks a bunch for this recipe!

I printed it off and will mix up a batch. I like the idea of using my own stuff in a mix, rather than eating chemicals that I can't pronounce. I didn't know about using the cornstarch, but it makes sense, to thicken up the sauce and make it .. well .. saucey!! :-)

Take care,
Julie Andrea
sundayschild1966(at)yahoo(dot)com

tipper said...

My girls use that line all the time!!

The FarmHouse Triplets said...

I love that idea ... and it sounds good too.