Friday, September 12, 2008

I'm Going To Tickle Your Taste Buds

Last Saturday someone had a birthday. I am not one who likes to be the center of attention with parties and such. I prefer to have something quiet with just the farmer and my children and grandchildren. Well they outdid themselves.

I wonder how old I am. These candles were blown out by my little three-year-old grandson. I might not have the wind power at my age you know. Later these candles had the bottoms bit off and chewed into a messy bunch of wax by the same little man. He was thinking there just might have been a tiny wee bit of chocolate left on those candles.

The family took me to Albany, a small town north of here to one of my favorite restaurants. My dad and mom used to stop here years ago while visiting this area because my dad loved the food. It reminded him of his mothers cooking. It has been owned and operated by the same family since the 1950's.  I bet you can't guess their Hungarian name.

The farmer and I ordered the Shepherd's Combo. Oh this is so good but so much food that I can never finish the entire thing. It is Chicken Paprikas, Beef Porkolt, Szekely Toltott Kaposzta (cabbage roll) and Kolbasz (sausage). This is also served with their marinated cucumber salad and Hungarian pearl noodles. One of my favorite things is their mustard. To die for and I almost always purchase some to bring home with me. 

My son-in-law ordered Parizsi Szelet.  This is a  select cut of pork tenderloin dipped in a light batter and crisp fried. Served with freshly whipped potatoes and gravy. I have yet to order this but just might next time. It looked so good.

My daughter, Jill ordered Mama's Meatballs and Linguine. These are homemade meatballs simmered in creamy mushroom sauce served over linguine noodles and Chef's vegetable of the day. Yum!

Then my youngest daughter, Kelli ordered this Linguine Primavera which is pasta tossed with fresh vegetables and sauteed in olive oil with tomatoes and garlic herb sauce, finished with fresh grated Parmesan cheese. She was a rebel (see below) and added a chicken breast for $2.95.  Still it looks divine!

See this rebel. I don't know where she gets this. Nope I don't even have the foggiest idea. 

Even if you don't go to eat breakfast, lunch or dinner here you will not EVER turn your back on this.


Yes. You walk in the front door and there it is. The big old glass case of Hungarian pastries just tempting you to add a smidgen of lard here and there. This isn't even their cake and pie dessert display. Those are hidden INSIDE the dining room to make you stuff yourself until you can't shut your tail down (as my dad used to say).

Ohhhh! I cried when I left.


The gift!!!  I will be going here come October 16, 2008.

My children gave me two tickets to see Celine Dion in concert. Yes! I wonder if Celine will mind if I get on stage and take the microphone from her. I just know I can butcher hit those high notes.

Here is my little candle biter giving me the best birthday kiss and hug ever.

23 comments:

the7msn said...

Well, a belated happy birthday to you. That Hungarian food has me drooling on my keyboard. My question is, how do you manage nicely manicured nails and a garden and a farm??

Twisted Fencepost said...

Happy belated birthday!!!
I'm glad I had dinner before I read this post, I don't think I could have made it all the way through!

Egghead said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes. Linda I wear gloves. I go through about four pairs a summer. I wear those Ace Nitrile coated gloves. Sometimes I buy other brands but they are all the same concept. By the way it looks like my nails are long but I keep them as short as possible...right up to the skin on my fingertips because I hate long nails.

noble pig said...

What a beautiful Birthday! Glad it was a good one!

Linda Reeder said...

After looking at this, I need to make sure I don't go down to the kitchen. I feel the need for binge eating.

Carolynn said...

Happy Birthday, Vonda! What a great day!

Twinville said...

Happy 15th Birthday Vonda!!

(Yes, I have dyslexic tendencies, but this time it works well, right? hehe)

This post just added 10 pounds to my waistine and butt. Darn. And I didn't even get to eat anything! :P

Glad you had such a great day and I can't wait to hear about your Celine experience! :)

~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
New Mexico

Judi~Gmj said...

Found you via the little black box.
Fun stuff, and now I am to full to sleep. Coming to from Vancouver WA. :)

Mental P Mama said...

Happy, happy birthday! That food looks fantastic, and now I want to go find a Hungarian restaurant. I don't think we have one here, but I know NYC has them...so glad you had such a great day with your family.

CeeCee said...

Happy, happy birthday! What a lovely way to spend it and what a great present!

Vonda, before I forget---in your Profile picture, what the heck is the white bit of stuff stuck to your sunglasses?

tipper said...

Happy late Birthday!! Looks like a wonderful time was had by all. The food looks sooo good and the tickets-thats a fantastic present!!

Egghead said...

First thank you all for the birthday wishes.

CeeCee,

It all goes back to a very sad story...well maybe not sad but certainly weird. The two links below will tell the story. This is a blog with my sisters and there was some mean mean things going on with my sisters on our annual sisters vacation and I am afraid it was me that was the butt of the jokes.

http://fuzisisters4.blogspot.com/2007/10/one-hung-low.html

http://fuzisisters4.blogspot.com/2007/10/lopsided-head.html

willow said...

Happy birthday! I've popped in via the black box!

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Oh, happy, happy birthday to you, vonda!! :-) I can't believe you posted about Novak's! I've always wanted to eat there, but just haven't managed it yet. I used to drive by the freeway sign for Novak's about once a week when I was driving to Springfield on business and it looked SO fun!
Glad you had such a wonderful time!May this year be a year of laughter, happiness, and lots of time with your wonderful family.

Kristi said...

Sis - we ate at Novaks on the way home from the coast. We were blessed enough to meet Mr. Novak - what a sweetheart - we had a hungarian breakfast and bought sweets for the ride home. Mr. Novak told us a little bit about his family. Did you know that he, his wife, mother and father spent a year in a concentration camp? They all slept on one twin sized bunk bed together. A wonderful, God fearing man he is!

rhymeswithplague said...

Here is a "green" birthday greeting for you (it's funnier if illustrated, but I don't know how to do that):

Hippo birdie two ewe,
Hippo birdie two ewe,
Hippo birdie deer Vonda,
Hippo birdie two ewe!

Pamela said...

I know absolutely nothing about hungarian food....except that after reading this post I WANT SOME! AND WANT IT NOW!

Sheesh...it was torture...every dish was even more scrumptious looking than the one before...and then the deserts! I think the meatballs in cream sauce were my favorite.

Happy birthday and thank you so much for sharing with us...now if you can just fed ex some of those dishes to me... LOL.

Junebug said...

Happy belated Birthday! My daughter's birthday was this Saturday. My 51st birthday was this year too in August.

rhymeswithplague said...

We have had some dear Hungarian friends for over 35 years. Last name Cziraky. For a while they were administrators of Bethesda Baptist Home in Palm Bay, Florida, which was built many years ago by the Hungarian Baptist Union (I think it is called) and weekly worship services were in both English and Hungarian.

If you ever get to Daytona Beach, stop and eat at Hungarian Village Restaurant on U.S. 1 -- it's great!

Jeannelle said...

A belated VERY Happy Birthday to you, Vonda!! And, many, many more! Sounds like you had a pleasant outing.....the food looks scrumptious!

I know of no Hungarian settled areas around here, although there are several Czech communities north of here and in Cedar Rapids.

The W.O.W. factor said...

Happy belated Birthday! What a way to spend it! Just ate supper and that food makes me hungry again!

DesertHen said...

Happy Birthday.....I'm just now getting around to reading blogs after being gone for a few days.

The food looks amazing....yummy! But the desserts.......Ohhhh, I want some of those right now!!

What a wonderful gift those tickets to see Celine......you will enjoy every moment of the concert....=D

Em said...

That sounds like a great birthday! And sweet kisses too! Yipee!