Monday, September 15, 2008

Howling by the Light of the Moon


I knew there was a good reason for going to see the movie "The Dark Knight". If nothing else it gave me some insight on what to do about our bat problem. In the past we have had several incidences of bats coming in the house. I guess they can come in from our fireplace. Our damper is closed but they must be able to squeeze in somewhere.

I am eating dinner in the dining room when a bat swoops in from the living room.  We have vaulted ceilings and so they really swoop around up and down and it is very hard to catch them. I have this terrible fear of bats. I don't know why but I just can't even begin to get close enough to try and catch or kill one. I just cringe and I'm sure I can feel them on my head. 

I run with my plate (no I can't miss a meal) to the kitchen and yell for the farmer that there is a bat in the house again. Mr. Slow Pace rises and goes to the garage to get the fish net. You know the fish net ..... the one with large holes in it not small holes like a pool net.  I don't try to pretend to know his logic since I am frozen in the other room.   

So in my frozen state my quick little tiny wee mind begins to panic and think. How about hiring the Joker. He could probably do it! But then I begin to remember that Batman always comes out ahead.

The hallway light was on and the bat flew back there. Yes he was in our bedroom. Farmer trudges back, goes in the bedroom and shuts the door. I stand in a corner whimpering bravely listen outside the door and hear a lot of loud thumping and banging mixed with a few choice words. 

Hearing the farmer my mind begins to shrink swirl with thoughts of saving the day. So how about garlic and a crucifix? Well by the time I could gather all that up it would be too late. Besides the crucifix was at the end of my rosary in our bedroom where the bat was.



Holy cat woman, I've got it Batman! How about using the bat signal. That'll do it. Bats always come out using that. I thought about running around outside the house after I made that bat signal with a piece of paper over a flashlight but then I hear the back door from our bedroom open and slam. So either the farmer was thrown out by the bat or he saved the day for batman.

This my friends is the only kind of bat I will allow in my house. I found out that yes wee little bats can crawl right out of large holes in fishing nets. Then farmers must curse and chase again whopping the walls like thunder. 


15 comments:

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Ha, ha...isn't it amazing how different people can be? I am absolutely in LOVE with bats. I think they are just the coolest and...they eat the nasty mosquitoes that descend and try to devour us every night at dusk!
You probably shouldn't read my blog today - I posted about bats, too, but my love of them, along with a few really cool pictures. :-)

Twisted Fencepost said...

The bat itself doesn't bother me. It's the flying swooping thing that gets me.
Although, I do consider it a challenge to try to catch them. But I'll bet I laugh more than the crazy bat does.

Pamela said...

Hilarious post! Thanks for the giggles!

I have to count myself as a bat person, too. We have quite a few of them and I love to watch them swooping and diving at twilight.

BUT! I am not thrilled with them in the house although I'd rather have a bat in the house than a bird...a bird can really make a mess!

Funny that you had a bat in your house, too. We had one (our second) last week. He was quite large and diving and swooping all around. We still haven't been able to remember to get a net on a stick (oldtimers' disease don't you know) so the only solution I could come up with was to open all the doors and screens. He found his way out really quickly.

noble pig said...

I haven't seen the film yet but I'd sure like too...I might be destined to the DVD!

Jeannelle said...

Great bat story! I feel the same way you do about them. Every so often, we get one in our house. I think the last time it ended up flying into the bathroom and Husband went after it with a broom. I'm just sort of paralyzed if there's a bat around....can't do anything to help, really.

Linda Reeder said...

Were you a bit creeped out about sleeping in your bedroom after that? Bats outside, ok, inside, not so much.

Twinville said...

So what happened???? YOu never did say?

And what kind of blogger are you? That you didn't grab your camera over your plate, so you could take photos for your blog. Or better yet, video...with shaky hands and all! Woot!

I love bats...outside.

About 10 years ago, we had a bat in our attic that was very sick. When the pest control guy came, he had the bat tested and it had rabies.

He said quite often if a bat gets into a house and is acting erratic, that is probably is sick and should not be handled at all.

Not to scare you, or anything.

~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
New Mexico

Carolynn said...

I'm a fan of bats, myself, although I don't think I'd want any swooping around my head while I was eating dinner.

Yikes...that picture of The Joker is creepy in the extreme.

On the other hand, that Batman is still quite the looker. There really is something about a man in a uniform, isn't there?

Egghead said...

Danni, yes I did see those pictures of the bats you took. I don't know how you can get so close. I think they are so ugly and my natural instinct is to duck and whine. My husband says the same thing you do...they eat the bugs.

Becky, I can picture you laughing while trying to catch one. I shiver.

Pamela,I have also had a bird in the house and you are right...the mess.

Linda, No I wasn't creeped out about sleeping because I knew it was gone. Besides the snoring of the farmer would keep most any wild thing out.

Lisa,

"not to scare you or anything" ha ha! Now you've done it. Well farmer did catch it the second time and let it go outside. It escaped through the hole in the net the first time just as he got to the door. He won't kill them because he would rather they kill me (in my mind). He thinks it is funny that I have this fear.

Carolynn, I can't believe how most of you like these little devils. Perhaps I should just use my imagination and pretend they are that handsome batman in uniform...:)

Kristi said...

Isn't it terrible how men find such great joy when we are frightned to death? My rooster was spurring me yesterday and all I could think of is how much my Dad would love to see this so he could slap his knee and guhawf as he tried to catch his breath from laughing so hard.

Is all these bats a good sign? A lot of people have been posting about bats. Do they come out this time of year? I have never seen a bat near my house.

oregontribal1 said...

My folks have two bats that perch on the front porch; we know they hang out there cause of all the quanno(bat poop)! I named them "Batty" and "Flit" but I've only seen them a couple of times. My dad went so far as to build them "houses"; they have yet to roost in them. The swooping is annoying, but we are free of skeeters and it kept my daughter inside during the summer biting season( she doesn't like bats)!!

tipper said...

Bats outside are creepy enough-inside just terrible.

Jill said...

I still laugh and laugh thinking about this--I still can't get over the fact that you instinctively grabbed your dinner plate and ran with it (No I can't miss a meal--ha ha ha too funny!). You crack me up!

Kelli said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Oh I love how you tell the story! Poor little bat probably just wanted to share your dinner. It would have been better if you could have set up a camera in your room while dad "caught" the bat!

Em said...

When I was a kid this happened all the time - we would always catch them with a bathtowel, then unceremoniously toss the whole towel out the door while quickly slamming the door closed behind us - we'd get the towel in the morning! I grew up in a house which had a fireplace upstairs in my parent's room and downstairs in the living room(with the same chimney), and it wasn't unusual to hear my Mom yelling for my Dad to "COME GET THIS BAT OUT OF HERE!!!!"