Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fall Is Beckoning

When the days shorten and nights cool I find myself snuggling deep under the warmth of my quilt in the morning wishing to stay in my cocoon just a little longer. I love fall. 

There are some things that are passed down from generation to generation and this Staghorn Sumac tree is one of them. The farmers grandparents grew these in Idaho (they have always called them Elkhorns) and from the original tree his parents took a start and from theirs we have this one.   I know fall is fast approaching when I see our  tree begin to bring forth the brilliant orange. It is the first to change.  

Then there is the pumpkin. The great pumpkin peeking out from under those vines.

Lucy doesn't care about fall so much. She only cares that Grandad grew pumpkins for his grandchildren. This means Halloween is coming soon.


The downside? Well I am finding it much, much harder to drag my behind out to make friendly with this guy. Perhaps I should make it into a coat rack.

9 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

Now is a great time to walk outside, not too hot.
Make it a coat rack until winter.

Twinville said...

I love Fall, too, and often crawl back into bed after letting the chickens out and feeding all the critters up at the barn.
I didn't get around to planting pumpkins this year. darn. Yours looks great. I bet Lucy can't wait to carve it. Is it a baking pumpkin?

Oh. You can exercise on that thing?
I thought it WAS a coat rack! haha

~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
New Mexico

Linda Reeder said...

Forget the tredmill. Take a walk at twilight. It's a great time to be out.

Mental P Mama said...

I love that pumpkin! This is my favorite time of year. I don't even look at my treadmill these days. We are in a fight.

Pamela said...

How great that you have a tree with such a history. Isn't it wonderful when living things are passed down? Looking at a tree is so much more rewarding than dusting furniture or washing dishes. (OK...I'm in a lazy mood today :) )

And what a pumpkin!

Bleeech on the treadmill...I say hide it under the house and go sit under your heirloom tree. LOL!

Jill said...

I love the fall, too! I'm with you about snuggling down in my cocoon in the morning come fall time, which is why summer mornings are good for me--I am forced to get up earlier than noon! :) I love the picture of Goose, her hair is getting long and pretty again!

tipper said...

I love fall too-and snuggling under the covers.

CeeCee said...

Beautiful pictures!
As for the treadmill---They do make wonderful racks for hanging clothes that need to air dry. ;)

Jeannelle said...

Your sumac photo is interesting....the "staghorn" in the name must refer to the shape of the leaves, maybe? Our sumac here has smooth, narrow pointed leaves. I never knew there were different kinds of sumac. Around here some was turning red already a few weeks ago.