Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Do You Know This Guy?

I was sorting through some old photos and I ran across this photo. Does he look familiar? I know most of you really don't know him but doesn't he just remind you of someone?


So here are some hints. The person that comes to mind for me was born September 23, 1930 in Albany, Georgia. He was stricken with glaucoma which resulted in blindness by the time he was seven.

He went to Florida's State School for the Deaf and Blind where he studied composition, classical piano, organ, trumpet, alto sax and clarinet.

Began his career in 1946 playing in local bands around Jacksonville, Florida then moved to Seattle, Washington and used the stage name R.C. Robinson.

His first single, "Confession" which he wrote was released in 1949.

Of course you can easily figure out who he is if you just look at that guy in the above photo. Just color him black and put him before a piano and pretend he can sing my favorite song, Georgia On My Mind.

He was born Ray Charles Robinson but later changed his name to Ray Charles. I love so many of his songs and I absolutely loved to watch him play that piano and sing. He passed away at age 73 in Beverly Hills, California. 

Do you have a favorite Ray Charles song?

Oh! This guy? He is my brother, John-wanna be Ray Charles. He does pick a tune or two on the piano and here he is noodling with my dad's old squeeze box accordion. Without the glasses he isn't so much Ray now is he?


8 comments:

rhymeswithplague said...

Well, of course! Every Georgian (like me) knows that Georgia's official state song is Ray Charles's rendition of "Georgia On My Mind."

The W.O.W. factor said...

Oh I love that song too, but I really love the one with Willie "Seven Spanish Angels"

Twisted Fencepost said...

I don't think there is a Ray Charles song I don't like!

noble pig said...

Hey Ray...well sort of!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What a cool post!

Ray Charles rocked it!

So does your brother rock the accordion, too?
What a fun family you have :)

~Lisa

Country Girl said...

I was gonna say a white Ray Charles!

tipper said...

Cute! I love love any of Ray Charles' songs!

Jill said...

What a goob!