Thursday, September 18, 2008

Child Labor

When we were growing up we did many things to earn money. We were never given an allowance. It was expected that because we all live together we all had to help out. Our mother would occasionally pay us to weed our huge garden. She paid per row and I have to say that I never earned much because I would sit out there and eat the carrots and peas instead of weeding.  We had a huge problem with ground squirrels and our father would pay my brothers for every ground squirrel tail brought to him (they trapped them). For school clothes we took our lambs or steers in 4-H and sold them at the end of the show auction. If we were to earn money it was usually outside the home.

The farmer has taken to using the grandchildren for labor. He isn't offering to pay them other than telling them they can eat what they pick. Isn't that mean?

They are really feeling abused by this.

Look at how hard he is making them work.

Sometimes the fruit of their labor is very strange.

We did pick our very first sugar baby watermelon. We have never grown watermelons before and were quite unsure if it would ripen. 

But it did and it was very sweet.

Little laborers picked these.

They thought these were hilarious.

All lined up to come in the house.  I think he owes the grandchildren perhaps a Popsicle.

13 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

I think they should hit him up for a trip to Dairy Queen!
Those are great looking carrots. I've never had any luck with them so I gave up.

Twinville said...

That carrot is a crack-up! And that watermelon looks so yummy!

What a bunch of wonderful produce the kids picked. I'd do it for a popcicle! My parents never bought popcicles, but used those plastic tupperware popcicle makers instead. They were fun, but the plastic 'stick' was painful on the tongue! haha

We don't give our 3 children allowance either. When our kids need something we all work together to find a way to get it for them. Usually in thrifty ways.

My parents badger us to give it to them so that it helps them learn to manage money. Obviously I don't agree with their train of thought and I'm living proof that it doesn't work. haha
I can save money like crazy, but manage it? Nah.
I'd like to learn more about making long term investments, without risk.

~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
New Mexico

Pamela said...

Your post had me laughing! Poor, poor children....how horrible that they got to have all that fun!

The watermelon looks delicious! We grew sugarbabies one year and they certainly lived up to their name. Sweet as could be.

Mental P Mama said...

What is up with that carrot???? I want to be a little nymph in your garden. I will trip you when you walk by the pool. But I will pull you out;)

Linda Reeder said...

I wish more people would raise fruits and vege with their children or grandchildren. We did - still do, in the suburbs. Our daughter has a small vege patch in CO, where the gardening is tough. The kids help pick. Even our bachelor son in Seatte grows tomatoes and a few raspberries. Last night he made plum sauce from donated plums. He buys produce from the local farmers market.
Growing and harvesting your own food teaches so much.
Great post.

noble pig said...

Love the twisty carrot and all your other goodies. How absolutely fun.

Carolynn said...

I thought that was what kids were for....no? I guess that's why I never had any. The Universe must have been saving them from servitude.

Jeannelle said...

What a darling post! Your garden produce is beautiful.....yes, love that warped carrot! Fun! What fun memories for the kids....and grandparents.

The W.O.W. factor said...

How lucky you are to have your Grandkids close! I DID, however, get to help mine plant their very first one while in CA this spring! They call me all excited when they get to pick something! Just Sat, "Dill" calls..."Grammy! We are eating our cantaloupe right now!" In their case, I was their FREE labor :) and I loved every moment!

Kristi said...

Your grandchildren are adorable. I loooved to "work" in my grandmother's garden when I was little, and I didn't understand why she'd say, "Wait, wait, don't go out until I can come with you!" :)

You must be proud of your melon! It's beautiful.

tipper said...

Hey we totally believe in child labor at my house!! And our girls think their pitiful too.

CeeCee said...

I was the product of 'child labor' too.:)
The picture of Farmer and the GKs is precious. I think he actually owes them a fudgesicle. They worked pretty hard!

Jill said...

I love all the pictures! I wanna taste of the watermelon--looks so good! Hey, I say take advantage of the child labor while you can... :)