Wednesday, September 24, 2008

An Apple A Day

That is if you get any. The farmer wanted to plant something different two years ago and so he decided he would plant what is called a columnar apple tree. This tree grow straight up and has no branches that spread out to the sides. I asked him what the purpose of this was and he said to look cool. I wondered if he would be climbing up the trunk like Jack and the Bean Stalk because I can only see it getting taller and taller with no branches.

As a kid we had an apple orchard and I can remember spending hours building tree forts with my brothers and sitting up there eating apples right off the trees. Our oldest granddaughter wanted him to build a tree fort for her in it. I looked at him when she said this and I burst out laughing. I have to admit it looks unusual and it has kind of grown on me but it never even got a bloom until this year. Yes it had exactly two blooms.

So now if you look very close you can see our two apples. Folks, we have apples. Maybe we can keep the doctor away for a day....that is if we don't break an arm or leg trying to get to them.


14 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

That is the funkiest looking apple tree I ever saw...I love the two little apples. What are you going to do with them?

Twisted Fencepost said...

What a strange tree! I've never heard of them.
As the tree gets taller, you'll have to make you an apple picking pole!

Pamela said...

That's just weird! But he's right--it does look cool.

Since it's his idea, is he going to climb up and get the apples? :)

Carolynn said...

I've never heard of such a tree. What will they think of next? Enjoy your apples.

DesertHen said...

I have never seen an apple tree like that before......a cherry tree, yes, but not an apple tree. How very cool........well, cool if you only want two apples a year....he, he..

We have lived on several ranches/farms with apple trees and oh how I loved them......there were years when I put up applesauce, apple pie filling and apple butter. No apple trees for me now.......I don't even have a "normal" tree in my yard yet!

Farmgirl_dk: said...

I got two of these columnar apple trees last year - They are now in medium-sized pots on my deck. I saw nothing resembling blooms on them this year, so it's good to know that -maybe- next year, I'll get an apple or two.
:-)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What a wacky tree. Good thing it was planted next to your deck so you can reach the apples. haha

We had a late freeze in May and two hail storms in May and June, so none of our apple trees, nor our peach or apricot trees bore fruit this year.
It's been terribly dissapointing.
Last year there was an abundance and we were eating much more than an apple day....this year not even one :(

Enjoy those two apples, k? Let us know how they taste.

~Lisa

Em said...

Aw man! Bummer for an apple tree!!!! What variety of apple are they? I hope you enjoy your two apples!

noble pig said...

What an odd tree. I swear my apples here are rotten before I even pick them.

Jeannelle said...

I've never heard of a columnar apple tree. Looks like you planted it in a good place, right next to the deck, for easy pickings until it gets too tall. Hey, you can add a level onto the deck to keep up with the tree!

The W.O.W. factor said...

How cool is that! But...no tree forts!(we used to build them too..in crabapple trees mmmm good)
Don't feel bad, my pear tree had 6 pairs last year...18 this year, so next yr, you may be able to make a pie...if it is that kind. :)

The FarmHouse Triplets said...

That is a really neat tree. Never heard of it but am going try to find one to plant here.

Just think, at least you don't have to mow under it and you don't have to pick up rotten apples!!! Ha~

Tanya

tipper said...

What a funny tree! Maybe next year it'll have more apples.

Jill said...

ha! I'd like to see Grandad build a tree house in this tree, too! :)