Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Nothing Better Than This

When there are fresh peaches in season and blueberries in abundance there is only one thing to do. Make blueberry peach crisp. The farmer found this recipe in our local newspaper in the Wednesday Entree section. It is written by our own Eugene cookbook author, Maryana Vollstedt.

It is guaranteed to put hearts and stars in your sweethearts eyes!

Begin by buttering a baking dish and preheating your oven to 375ยบ. Maryana's recipe calls for a 8x8 baking dish but I doubled this recipe because I still don't know how to cook for just two people. I shall blame it on my childhood and the fact that one of my jobs was to peel hundreds of potatoes for nine people every day. Oh but that is another story.

In a bowl toss together the berries, sliced peaches, sugar and corn starch. Pour into buttered baking dish and set aside while you make the topping. Or maybe you should make the topping first so the peaches stay nice and fresh looking.

In your food processor combine the butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Pulse until it crumbly. Don't laugh at my food processor. It just happens to be over twenty seven years old and almost in perfect condition considering I only used it once up until recently. Isn't this the greatest looking old thing?

Speaking of old, look at this bowl. It is one of the original old bowls made by Texas Ware back in the 1950's. My mother-in-law gave me this many years ago. I never thought too much about it until my oldest daughter told me several years ago that she had found some just like it on eBay and that it was considered a classic. It makes me laugh still because I think it is really ugly.

Oh, but back to the recipe. Toss all of the topping into that ugly bowl and fold in the nuts. I didn't have walnuts so I used slivered almonds. Turned out very tasty that way as well. 


Sprinkle the topping over the fruit and bake until bubbly and the topping is crisp, 45 to 50 minutes.

This is what it looked like when I pulled from the oven. 

Add a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream and it is heaven.



Blueberry and Peach Crisp With Walnut Topping

Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.

Filling:

3 cups blueberries, washed and dried
3 medium ripe peaches, peeled, halved, pitted and sliced into ½-inch slices
¼ cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, toss together all ingredients. Place in a buttered 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle topping over. Bake until bubbly and top is crisp, 45 to 50 minutes.

Topping:

¼ cup butter (½ stick), cut up
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of salt
¾ cup chopped walnuts or other nuts

To make topping: In a food processor combine all ingredients except nuts and process until crumbly. Fold in nuts. Set aside.

10 comments:

the7msn said...

Excuse me, but I think this recipe left out two important steps at the beginning:
1. Move to Oregon
2. Plant peach trees and blueberry bushes

Can you tell I'm starved for homegrown fruit? Making this with ingredients from Walmart just wouldn't be the same.

CeeCee said...

Yum! Is there any leftover for me?

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Oh, that looks so good. Alas, I've got me no peaches. I do, however, have blueberries and raspberries...do you think I could do a combo of that? Or maybe, just blueberries? If I did just blueberries, would I add 6 cups instead of 3?
p.s. I love your bowl...it's cool. :-)

Egghead said...

Farmgirl here is my all time favorite recipe that I use for huckleberry blueberry crisp. I don't see why you couldn't mix raspberries and blueberries...in fact it sounds like a great combination. I have made huckleberry apple crisp using 3 cups of each and it turned out great as well. I have to say this topping was pretty good but I still love the standard one with oatmeal in it like below.


6 cups fresh huckleberries and/or blueberries, washed
1/4 cup instant tapioca
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine the blueberries, tapioca and lemon juice in a large casserole dish. Mix well and lte stand for at least 15 minutes. In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients. Smooth the mixture over top of the berries, covering completely. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.

Jill said...

*gasp* Why does this stuff always happen when I'm not at Mom and Dad's house?! There better be left overs this weekend, because I am DEFINITELY coming out for some of this delicious crisp!

Linda Reeder said...

Yum!

tipper said...

Well now I'm starving!! That looks delicious.

Mental P Mama said...

Oh my stars! I like that ugly bowl. Be nice. I'll be by for some of that in a little while.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Oh could you email me some of that!? It looks divine!

"JEANNELLE" said...

M-m-m. I think you could do a cooking show! I have two of those Texas Ware bowls, too.....for 30 years now!