Monday, August 25, 2008

From Out Yonder

These are the golden plums that grow on a small tree by our driveway. These are the same plums that the squirrels and deer steal and after eating the sweet fruit proceed to spit the seeds in our driveway for me to clean up. Each time I see the little pile of seeds here and there my mind plays a trick on me and I almost think my children are little once again. Lucky for me they were easier to train teach than their animal counterparts.

My weekend in part was turning those golden plums into jam.

Finally our sweet 100's are beginning to ripen and I picked the very first batch of green beans which have been very slow to come on this year. The cucumber is an Armenian cucumber. We decided to try a different variety than in the past. They are prickly to the touch but that rubs off in washing.  We found out by accident that if you leave them alone to grow large they do not become seedy as other varieties do. They only grow larger almost like an English cucumber that you can find in most produce sections wrapped in plastic. We love this variety for eating fresh and will probably plant them again.

The other important parts of my weekend included loving on my four grandchildren while the farmer went salmon fishing.

12 comments:

Country Girl said...

There was a time in my life that I did the jam and the putting up of fresh vegetables. Sometimes I miss it, as I'm doing now, reading this post. But all my canning supplies are long gone and given away and I'm content to purchase the jams now. * Sigh *

noble pig said...

Oh that golden plum jam! How wonderful! It looks amazing!

Mental P Mama said...

I want.

Junebug said...

You have a lovely garden and fruit trees. I would love to see it. Salmon fishing sounds like such fun too.

Beckynsc said...

I'll have to try plum jam sometime. It looks delicious. I'll also have to try those Armenien cucumbers, too. Cukes are my favorite veggie.

CeeCee said...

Beautiful pictures! Right out of a gardening magazine.

I'm glad you had a good time with the g'babies. "Milk Machine"--LOL! My DH used to call me the Lunch Wagon.

What kind of salmon is your hubby after?

Kristi said...

The armenian cucumbers are something I have looked at a dozen times in the seed catalog. I think I'll order them now. Your plums are beautifull. I still love the spitting deer. I wonder what kind of conversations they have as they stand around, eat plums, and spit. I have two plum trees in my backyard. No plums yet. Maybe next year.

Jill said...

Mental P Mama said it perfectly!

Betsy said...

I am afraid I would leave a pile of pits at the end of your driveway too......plums are my favorite...especially the golden ones

Your garden veggies look great too.

Linda Reeder said...

Beautiful pics of beautiful produce. Plums to jam sounds very romantic until I remember how much work it is. But good for you.

Twinville said...

YOur plums looks so magical and glowing.
Your jam looks beautiful and delicious!
I love that image of the deer standing around spitting plum seeds as CeeCee mentioned. heehee

tipper said...

The jam looks divine! And the rest does too!