Sunday, July 20, 2008

Words, Actions and the Ripple Effect


Do you ever think about how far your words and actions ripple? I am guilty of not thinking especially in the heat of the moment just what ramifications they might have. But even if it is not in the heat of the moment and if they are kind words they still have a huge ripple effect. 

This weekend I was made aware of a non truth that was told about me to a family member. It is not the lie that bothers me so much because it was stupid and easily verified but it was the fact that this small lie that must have made this person feel bigger could easily have hurt my family member. 

Why would someone want to purposely hurt someone else with no justifiable reason? I doubt that the person she could have hurt was her target or that she even had a target. I think that some people say things certainly without thinking and sometimes a small lie must make them feel good at the moment.

I once heard Maya Angelou that say that each time you say something bad about someone it is like chinking away at their soul a little bit at a time.  If only we could all remember that this may be true perhaps this world would become a little kinder. I speak to myself mostly of this  because I know I am guilty of not always being kind in my thoughts or words. Perhaps making myself think long and hard about what I say or what I do in every day interactions it will serve as a huge reminder to myself to be positive and kind. 

So for today, even for this hour  I want to focus on thinking about just how far my words can ripple and to make sure that they are good ripples.

8 comments:

Kristi said...

Good advice sister. The power of the tongue is like a sword. We talk to our kids about the power of words and how we can speak life or death. I'm sending a positive ripple to you today - I love you sis. You are one of the most thoughtful people I know. I am so blessed to have you as my sister.

Mental P Mama said...

Great post. And so true. Words are so powerful.

noble pig said...

Oh yes, we are all guilty of a slip of the tongue...and it often hurts.

Words are a powerful tool, when used unfairly, their effect is huge.

Tipper said...

You are so right-really something for me to think about too.

Carolynn said...

I once had a close friend tell me she thought I was 'beige'. That simple comment has stayed me throughout the years and has motivated me to be anything but 'beige'. Years later, when I recalled it to her, she didn't remember ever having said it. It hasn't scarred me for life, but it is interesting that such a toss-away comment could have such lasting impact.

I think it was Thumper's Mom who said it best. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothin' at all."

Country Girl said...

Maya has some words to live by, doesn't she? I need to remember to live by this one.

"JEANNELLE" said...

Excellent post! Yes, I need this reminder everyday.

Twinville said...

I just love Maya Angelou. She speaks to the heart. I went and saw her speak here in Albuquerque on my 40th birthday. It truly touched me and I posted about her and my experience on my Twins Plus One blog, too.
She made me feel like she had invited me into her kitchen for a cup of tea and chat. I felt like she was talking to me. I could have sat there for hours listening to her.
Her voice is so calming, musical nourishing and joyful.
Like listening to a bird sing.