Friday, July 18, 2008

Using Fresh Ingredients

I have been pondering what I wanted to make with my fresh dill and chives. I remembered reading about a fresh sour cream dill sauce for halibut a while back and I just happened to have a couple of pieces of halibut in my freezer.

This turned out so refreshing and light. It gives your taste buds a little zing!

We had two nice halibut fillets. I used all of the sauce up on just these two and can't imagine spreading it thinner. Of course maybe that is why the pounds seem to stick like cement. Hmmm!

Rinse the fillets off with cool water, pat dry with a paper towel and place on a foil lined cookie sheet.

Next melt a few tablespoons of butter and brush liberally over the halibut. This helps add a few pounds to your thighs as well as makes the salt and pepper stick easily.

Sprinkle course salt and fresh black pepper over the fish. I also squeezed a bit of lemon juice over it as well just because I love it like that. Now place in a 450º oven and bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until fish flakes easily.

While fish is baking now we can whip up the sauce. It takes minced fresh dill, chives and lemon zest. Get busy chop chopping now.

Measure out 2/3 cup sour cream....full bodied. Not low fat. After all the flavor would not be the same and you might lose a pound or maybe two.

Add lemon zest, chives and dill to sour cream and whisk together.

I could have just stopped here and ate this in a bowl. But the farmer wouldn't let me. Instead you spoon the mixture over the halibut and pop it back in the oven for another 8 to 10 minutes or until the sauce has set.

Oh this was heavenly.

Halibut With Sour Cream Dill Sauce

2 - 4 to 6 oz. halibut fillets
2 Tbs. melted butter
course salt
fresh cracked black pepper

Sauce
2/3 cup sour cream
3 Tbs. finely chopped chives
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
2 tsp. fresh dill weed or 1/2 tsp. dried dill weed

*Preheat over to 450º.

*Rinse fish under cool running water. Pat dry with paper towels and brush with melted butter.

*Sprinkle with course salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

*Place halibut fillets in shallow foil lined pan and roast in over for 6 to 8 minutes, depending on thickness, or until fish flakes easily with fork.

*Prepare sour cream-dill sauce by combining sour cream, chives, lemon zest and dill weed. Set sauce aside.

*After baking halibut for 6 to 8 minutes remove from oven and spoon the sour cream mixture over each fillet.

*Bake another 8 to 10 minutes longer or until the sour cream sets up. Garnish with lemon slices and parsley.

6 comments:

noble pig said...

I love halibut and this just looks like it adds so much flavor. Yummy.

Mental P Mama said...

That looks so good I could have it for breakfast!

Tipper said...

That would be so refreshing and perfect for dinner at the end of a long hot day!

Jill said...

Num...makes me crave some good halibut! Maybe I should actually attempt to cook some! :)

Kristi said...

I am going to make this. It looks delicious, and my husband would most likely love it. I wonder if it would work well with the fish I can get locally. Like maybe red fish? Or maybe you can suggest a fish I can get easily?

Egghead said...

Kristi, I would bet it would be good on any fish. I was just thinking red snapper would taste good with it. Of course salmon would be good as well.