Thursday, July 24, 2008

Under The Arbor

I have been buried in blueberry picking, cleaning and freezing every day. Every day. Did I say every day? And there is still more green berries yet to ripen. I am ready to move on to something new.


Here is what is coming up by the end of next month. Under my arbor we grow seedless green and purple grapes. These grapes are some of the best grapes I have ever eaten. In the past we have picked them and they will be gone in an afternoon. The grandchildren eat them like candy.


Last year we were carefully watching the grapes grow and then ripen. When they were ready we decided we would come home and pick them one evening after work but alas the birds were listening to our plans. When we went to the arbor every single grape was gone. I mean we didn't even get one little grape.

This year the farmer decided to put netting underneath the arbor where the grapes hang down. I hope it helps but something tells me that those birds will figure out a way to get at them.

Did you know that I use grape leaves in canning dill pickles? I tuck one large grape leaf in with garlic, bay leaf and dill, then can the pickles like usual. Grape leaves act as a crisping agent. Some people use alum which will also help crisp up pickles but my mother-in-law taught me the grape leaf trick. It really works.

7 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

I am so coming for a visit.

Junebug said...

Mmmmm....grapes. You have some delicious fruits growing at your place.

noble pig said...

Oh geez, the birds are terrifying when it comes to the vineyard...they decimate grapes like no tomorrow...this just gave me the chills.

Jill said...

byron's as excited for the grapes as I am for the pickles! yum!

Kristi said...

I may have figs... but you have grapes and blueberries--sigh. I can't grow them here and I adore blueberries (we picked and ate a ton when we were in New Hampshire on vacation). I do have a muscadine vine (wild grape) I wonder if it's leaves would work for pickles?

Tipper said...

Well I wish I had read this yesterday-I made dill pickles. Wonder if wild grape leaves would work too? Hope the birds have been outsmarted this year.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

I'm so jealous of your plums, blueberries and grapes! :P