Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Gift

The farmer brought me this beautiful orange tiger lily a few weeks back. I love lilies not only for the beauty of their blossoms but for the tall stalks as well. He was told by the grower that once planted in the ground this one will grow tall and stately just like my star gazers and a white lily called "Stormy White" that my daughter, Jill gave me a few years ago for mothers day. I think the contrast of orange against green will be outstanding.


I have to laugh when I remember him walking out from his office after work. He was carrying this huge lily with a big grin on his face and brought it to the car. From a few feet away I thought he had blood all over his face and was a little concerned. It looked like he had cut his face in several places while shaving but being 50 and having a few memory issues I did not remember this in the morning. After he got in the car I looked closer and he had dark, almost blood red pollen all over his face. I gave him a kiss and thanked him and I toyed with the idea of letting him walk around in the grocery store like that just to see the reaction of people around him. But while driving I just could not help myself. I began to laugh out loud and he looked at me smiling but didn't say anything. Finally I gave in and told him to look in the mirror. After looking he tried to wipe it off but all it did was smear perhaps a little fainter in color. I don't know how long he walked around at work like that but I burst into laughter again just imagining his co-workers ignoring this orange stuff all over his face. It still makes me laugh out loud. I asked him if he even wondered why I was laughing in the car before I told him and he said "No, you always laugh at your own jokes and you have a weird imagination".

I don't either.

******************************************
I received this award from Twinville at  Laughing Orca Ranch.  She passed it on to me yesterday and I feel so honored that someone out there thinks my little old blog just might be awesome.  I love the names she has given her chickens.... Phyllis Diller, Sid Vicious and Mr. and Mrs. Cotton. What a hoot. Thank you Laughing Orca Ranch.
I would like to pass this award along to some other blogs I love:

Plain Old Kristi who is living a life in New Orleans of sustainability. I love to visit and see what she is growing, sewing, cooking, preserving, and her ideas of how to live frugally and simply.  She also has some cool chickens which I of course like.

Farm Girl at On The Way To Critter Farm who has the cutest donkeys and some very crazy looking chickens. You know me and  chickens. I love to see her photos of things these animals are doing.  It makes me feel like I am right there with her.

Jeanelle at Midlife By Farmlight who always inspires me to think about my Christianity and has a fun humor as well as she has an eye for unusual photos on her dairy farm. I learn something new every time I visit her blog.

Em from Em and the Gang who is fun, crafty and has the most adorable little children. She is also waging a battle for the back yard chicken movement. Brave girls she is. I love peeking in on her  life.

9 comments:

Em said...

Thanks for the blog award! I love reading your blog too. My kids are a constant source of entertainment, amazement, and knowledge for me. I love watching them grow and taking pictures of it! I'm glad someone else (other than family) appreciates seeing this bit of our life. Thanks!

"JEANNELLE" said...

Hi, egghead!

Oh, for goodness sakes.....what is going on?? Thank you very much!

And, guess what......I just bestowed an award on you and your blog, too! And.....NO.....I had not seen this post of yours.

Click to my post below and you will find out why YOU and your blog are the perfect recipient of this award:

http://midlifebyfarmlight.blogspot.com/2008/07/blueberries.html


Keep up the lovely blogging! Your blog is a joy to behold......your stories and photos are just perfect!!

Thank you again for the "Awesome Site" award, and for your very kind words!! God Bless you and yours!

noble pig said...

I love those orange lilies...very beautiful!

Jill said...

I agree with everyone else--you have a very awesome blog! I love your story of Dad and his "bloody" pollen face, and I agree with him that you do have a strange sense of humor, but fortunately it's your sense of humor that makes you so much fun!!! :) Love you!

Kristi said...

Thanks for the award. You've made me laugh dozens of times and for that -Thank You Too! Today was no exception, I'm certain you'll never forget that gift, and it's one more thing I'm jealous of you for - You can grow oriental lilies!

Mental P Mama said...

Congrats. I love a little weird imagination...

Twinville said...

I wonder if his co-workers teased him about wearing make-up? hehe

I just love the vision of his sweet thoughtfulness in gifting you with such a gorgeous flower. Orange and green are two of my most favorite colors and your tiger lily is so exotic and beautiful.

I'm glad you were surprised with the award. I really enjoy your blog. And I'm glad you get a kick out of my crazy chickens, too.

Tipper said...

The lily is beautiful! My girls use to stick their nose to close and get the pollen on them too when they were little.

Congrats on the award!

Country Girl said...

Oh, I can't remember the last time my husband brought me flowers. How exciting, though! Congratulations on your award! You deserve it.