Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Case For Dirty Windows

We have a house of many windows. Sixty four to be exact. There are the pros and the cons to so many windows. They afford an absolutely beautiful view of the valley, there is always plenty of light and the sun helps to warm the rooms somewhat in the winter. The downside of course is that I have to wash them all and the house can become very hot in the summer from that same sun that helps to warm in the winter.

But the worst thing is that the birds continually fly into the windows and either die or stun themselves for a bit. It always makes me sad to see this happen. This little guy hit the window early morning Sunday and stayed like this for quite some time before he was well enough to fly into a tree close by. I am not sure the type of bird because I haven't had time to look him up but he is certainly beautiful.

Here he seems to be saying "Get that camera out of my face". But this was shortly before he was able to leave. He is one of the lucky ones. Maybe I should let my windows become so dirty that you can't see out of them. Yeah! That's it. That will solve the bird dilemma.

Stay tuned for another type of bird in my house.....tomorrow.


7 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

When a bird flies into his windows, my brother-in-law puts it under some running water, and it revives it quickly. He swears by it!

noble pig said...

That is a ton of windows but in the Pacific Northwest, it's good. Poor birdies though!

Tipper said...

I hate to clean windows too! Amazing pics of the little bird.

Jill said...

Um...that is TOTALLY why I don't wash my windows often enough...I'm protecting the wildlife! :)

Country Girl said...

Wow, Vonda! What a beautiful bird. Glad he survived.

"JEANNELLE" said...

The bird's coloring is gorgeous! I leafed through my bird book, but didn't find this fellow.

Twinville said...

He is absolutely gorgeous! Looks sort of tropical.
We have alot of windows, too. So far the birds haven't hit them, but they tend not to get up close to our house because we have two outside barn cats...and they'd make quick capture of anything that hit a window and ended up on the ground :(