Wednesday, June 11, 2008

There's an Imposter in the Hen House

I told my sisters a story last May about our barred rock hen, Henrietta and how she thinks she is a rooster. I hadn't heard her trying to crow for quite a while so I began to think she was either a) becoming a little more feminine; b) totally old as she is the only hen we kept from the older group (and let me tell you it was only because I am shallow and thought she was so pretty that we couldn't kill her); or c) she lost her voice.

This morning I was folding laundry in the utility room where the window looks out toward the hen house and I heard what I thought was a hen in trouble. My first reaction was to grab a broom and run down there to beat off a raccoon, skunk (ha! can you imagine?) or something that was after the hens. I was part way there when old Henrietta ruffled up her feathers and flapped her wings and let out this horrendous squawk. So she was up to her old tricks yet again.

Yes here she is trying to accuse Penny when I came back with my camera intending to record the sound. She would not do it again as long as I was out there.

But I do think she is becoming quite crafty at hiding behind her cohorts and the feeder. Nope not me she seems to be saying.

I think we are changing her name to Henry. Most fitting don't you think?

9 comments:

Lithia Alden said...

We had a Barred Rock hen named Henrietta also. She was definitely feminine though.

One year, we had a Dominique chicken named Penelope whom we thought was a hen, but she turned out to be a he. As a result, he had the unfortunate name of Penelo-Paul.

noble pig said...

Henrrieta That bad, bad girl!

It's really funny that she has that dominatrix quality in her.

Tipper said...

Henrrieta is way to pretty to be a mean ole rooster. She must be very confused. Maybe if she could see herself in a mirror she would realize her true feminine beauty.

Mental P Mama said...

Maybe she just needs some therapy...

ga.farmgirl said...

That is so funny. One thing is because years ago I had a Rhode Island red hen (I thought) named Henrietta. I made her this nice nest and was put her in it with the old wooden nest egg. This went on for a while until one day as I was encouraging Henrietta to lay an egg she let out this loud big perfect crow. Sooo.. Henrietta became Henry. He still liked lady chicken things though. He never did fit in with other roosters, they treated him like a hen too.
He became a yard chicken away from those mean big boy roosters.
Love your site too!
Have a good day.

Jill said...

Cross-dresser Henry.

Junebug said...

How funny! "Henry, Henry!" "Coming, mother." :D Do you know what that's from?

"JEANNELLE" said...

Very entertaining chicken story!! Its good you have Henrietta figured out so she/he can't pull the wool (or wire) over your eyes!

gaby said...

Nice Chicken Story :)

Backyard Chicken