Monday, June 23, 2008

Some People Have Guard Dogs

I will begin by saying that although we could have had a dog for protection we are gone all day long and I always felt it was unfair to keep a dog penned up whether in a run or in the house for ten hours a day while we were working. We live too far away to drive home and let them outside or spend time with them. So until one of us retires we will hold off on that. BUT that does not mean that we don't have property protection.

This fellow and at least two other bucks return each summer to lounge on our back deck protecting the hammock that resides there or underneath our two Japanese maples by our swimming pool. They have become increasingly "friendly" and think this is their vacation spot.

No we don't feed them (however, they choose to eat all our roses and anything else they feel like) but as you can see they are not too afraid. This photo was taken from inside our living room through our sliding glass door. I have others of him looking at himself in the reflection of the glass thinking it was another buddy who managed to get inside.

9 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

That is great! He does look quite at home, doesn't he?

Junebug said...

My brother would love that! He's a deer hunter but he also loves pet deer too.

Em said...

Wow - that's so cool! Great job getting a photo. So they're pretty tame huh? I guess they like the buffett at your place! We're having some issues in our little garden, but I think we've fixed it with a 7 ft tall deer netting!

"JEANNELLE" said...

He certainly posed nicely for the photo, but too bad he has an appetite for roses!

noble pig said...

Okay, is this what I have to look forward to when I move to Oregon? I will totally freak out.

Jill said...

I would certainly feel more protected at night knowing a buff man-deer with sharp weapons was looking out for me...if that's what he was actually doing. But I'm sure he looks scary as he eats your roses up too! :) The mighty injun hunter still swears he's going to get one of them this year, guess we'll wait and see...

Tipper said...

Very neat photo-that wouldn't happen here at the Deer Hunter's home. But even he thought your photo was neat!

Treasia said...

How absolutely cool is this. I would love to have a few hang out around our house, even if eating roses.

Twinville said...

That's so awesome! He looks like a cat curled up all comfy there.