Saturday, June 21, 2008

Pilgrimage of Camino De Santiago

This photo of Brian has nothing to do with the pilgrimage but was taken in Barcelona while living in Spain.

My son is in Spain right now walking the pilgrimage of the Camino De Santiago. He lived in Spain for a few years while getting his Masters in Romance Languages and Translation and always wanted to have the time to take this pilgrimage. The story of Camino De Santiago in Spain originates, according to legend, with a hermit who lived in the 9th century. He was guided in a dream and told to follow the stars, which he did, until he ended up in Santiago in Spain. It was here that he found the bones of the early Christian St. James, and it was only a matter of time before word got around and pilgrims from all over Europe started coming to see the holy relics in Spain. During this period of Christian history people believed that by performing a pilgrimage to Santiago in Spain their previous sins would be absolved and they would earn themselves a place in heaven.

Although there are obvious advances in transport in the 20th century, many people still prefer to perform their pilgrimage to Santiago in Spain either on foot or bicycle. The actual route one can take to perform the pilgrimage in Santiago in Spain varies, although the main route and most popular begins in France and passes through or near most of the major towns in the North of Spain on the way to Santiago including San Sebastian and Bilbao. Brian flew in to Portugal and spent a few days and then took the train to San Sebastian and began his walk from there. He is staying in special hostels along the pilgrimage route.

He expects to be walking for around four or more weeks depending on how many miles he feels like going each day. I will have very limited contact with him only by phone when he finds a place to call occasionally. It sounds like such an interesting trip and I hope he finds the experience what he thinks it can be for him. After his return to the states he will be moving from Maryland to Buffalo to enter into the Ph.D. program.

8 comments:

Tipper said...

Oh it sounds like a real adventure! I know he will enjoy every minute of the walk. I find the older I get-the more I long to do something like that. I was too big of a chicken to try things when I was younger.

Mental P Mama said...

What a wonderful experience...wish I had done more of this when I was footloose and fancy-free! But I am great at living vicariously!

noble pig said...

That sounds wonderful doesn't it? He will always be glad he did something like this.

Pat - An Arkansas Stamper said...

What an adventuresome son you've raised. I think it's wonderful. I hope he has a great time (which from the photo it looks like he is) and will travel safely.

Jill said...

As paranoid as he makes me, going on this adventure all by himself, I have to admit I envy all this traveling he does!!! I would love to see some of the things he is experiencing! Hope he stays safe!

Junebug said...

He needs to do something exciting like this before entering a Ph.D program. My daughter is coming home from Italy today.

Kristi said...

Wow Brian - what an adventure. Sis, I didn't know he was going back to school! No more teaching teenage boys for a while!

Love you

Kristi

Twinville said...

That's so amazing! What a wonderful journey for him and others.

There is something like that here in New Mexico, a Pilgrimage every Spring to Santurio de Chimayo.
This is the 'church of miracles' and is one of the oldest churches in the country. It's also a very beautiful and restful setting.

You can read more about it by copying and pasting this link into your browser. It's a first-hand account:

http://www.houstonculture.org/cr/chimayo.html