Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It Pains Me Greatly

The farmer slowly and painfully jumped out of the car and as is his usual habit on our homeward journey each day, he retrieved the mail. Because I always drive (which means that he is usually driving from the back seat and guiding me along) I patiently sit waiting while he stands there at the mail box slowly sorting through the mail before coming back to the car. The other day I heard him just cackling and guffawing away as he stood there. The guffaw escalated to a down right har har har! I had no idea what could strike the farmer as funny, especially as he doesn't usually laugh out loud at much at all.


Well here is why!

He was just beside himself with glee that I received this invitation from Sunset Magazine with a senior citizen offer. It seems as soon as you turn the magic age of 50 all mailing lists have officially decided to send you all kinds of birthday discount offers. I opened the letter and yes they offered the subscription for a year for ten dollars. Just to throw in some more persuasion they sent such a personal note saying that they missed me and wanted to tempt me back. Funny thing about that is I haven't had a subscription to Sunset ever and somehow they want me back.

But only if I am a senior citizen.

8 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

I've been getting AARP stuff for 5 years. And I'm 48!

noble pig said...

Hey I'm 36 and AARP just gave me a card...go figure!

Jill said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Poor Mom! You'll always be young in my eyes...I can just see dad cackling happily about this! What a turkey! You guys crack me up!

Tipper said...

It is scary how they know your age!

Michelle said...

When I turned 40 AARP started sending me all sorts of invitations and mail-- I am 42 now and the AARP is still sending me information. If only the Social Security Administration will get my age confused by 10 years, I would feel better-- haha--

Junebug said...

I finally joined AARP at 50 last year. Just for the discounts. Maybe. Won't be long and I will turn 51.

Twinville said...

This is just as bad as teenagers receiving credit card offers as soon as the graduate.

Sounds like your time is up to be carded while buying wine coolers at the local liquor store.
It'll make you feel much better. hehe!

Country Girl said...

I know! I get that stuff all the time. As soon as I turned 50 is when it began.