Saturday, May 31, 2008

Two Things My Neighbors Never Knew

There are two stories I am about to tell the world that I still cringe and want to hide under any piece of furniture I can find. Both involve animals and my father. Don't get me wrong, my father was a farmer and we had animals all over the place. In fact our little twenty five acre plot held a mix of just about every type of creature at one time or another from my sisters pet pig, ducks, goats, sheep, cows, horses, chickens, peacocks, dogs, cats and on and on.

My father liked animals well enough but mostly those that served a purpose. You know cows for milk, meat and selling at the livestock auction, sheep for wool, meat and for sale as well, chickens for meat and eggs...well you get my point. Cats he tolerated because they kept the mouse population in check. A few dogs...fine. Mostly that was for my moms sake. Horses also were a tolerance because my mother loved them and we took them in 4-H. But on our farm we really did not use them for farm work like the old timers used to so he would have been just as happy not to have to feed them in the winter. But for mom.....


I don't remember who gave us the two nanny goats but we ended up with them one summer. The goats were really sweet but if anyone has lived around goats they should recall how they loved to jump up on anything remotely off the ground. This meant toy wagons, blocks of wood, buildings, and most of all on the cab of my fathers truck. They would leave dents all over the place which used to just make him furious. They also loved to eat anything, at least try to. They nibbled on my mothers clothes hanging on the line and some ended up in the dirt or ruined.


After trying to fence them in and all kinds of things, my father had just about had it. So one Sunday after dark he took the goats about six miles away up a country road called Washington Gulch and lets just say "set them free". On Monday morning we awoke and were informed that they had been set free and I was a little upset because one of them was mine. However, while riding the bus to school we stopped to pick up the Radabaugh boys who lived on Washington Gulch and they were just all abuzz about the two goats that showed up on their place. Just amazing...out of nowhere. Yes, I slid down under the bus seat in embarrassment and could not admit that this was the work of my frustrated father. He gifted them.


Now fast forward to me as a young married adult. My aunt and uncle were raising peacocks and they brought several babies to my parents. Again this was a case where they did not ask, just brought them and my dad worked out of town so he had little to say about what creatures appeared. He tolerated these peacocks for quite a long time and my kids loved to gather the beautiful feathers while visiting my parents. But again peacocks can be a pain....they would sit atop anything high up and call out constantly. They loved to sit on top of the barn and screech daily which would wake up my parents. They actually sounded like a little kid calling for help. They also began to reproduce which meant more peacocks. After more and pooping and making a racket each day my father again became frustrated and I think you know where I am going here. He drove them on a one way trip to a small town about twenty miles away called Haines.


At this time my husband, the farmer, was working as a loan officer at a bank and his boss lived in Haines. Well lo and behold his boss came in one morning saying "you are never going to believe what appeared on my fence post this morning". As he went on to tell about the peacocks my husband began to blush profusely and clear his throat out of nervousness. When his boss asked what was wrong he choked on his coffee and slowly slunk away without saying a word.


I hear there are still peacocks in Haines. Dad if you can see what is going on here....stop laughing.

8 comments:

"JEANNELLE" said...

Oh, what funny stories! Yes, how very odd that would be to have a peacock show up out of the blue! Your dad must have been a character!!

Mental P Mama said...

That is so funny. I think your father was quite creative...

noble pig said...

Ha that's hilarious! At least you didn't have monkeys to go put around. That would have been really surprising for people.

Jill said...

I love all these stories!!! This is probably my favorite of your blogs, mom--I get to read all these stories of memories that I've never heard before!!! :)

Tipper said...

Oh I just love this post! So neat to look into the way families work. And how funny for the folks who benefited from your Dad!

pearlsandchocolate.com said...

Great story! Great blog!

April said...

I think I'd love for a peacock to show up on my fence, but if I found a goat outside in my garden I'd go get Clay's gun.

It sounds like your dad knew exactly the right places to set them free.

Country Girl said...

No, I can't stop laughing and you can't make me!

I think that's how we acquired the peacocks that showed up about 3 years ago and stayed for awhile. I swear I thought babies were crying in trees at night. They are terrible! But so lovely.

Your story cracked me up. Thanks so much for your honesty.