Thursday, May 8, 2008

These Mountains

It is very true that you don't appreciate the beauty you grew up with until later. I suppose that is because as a child you really don't know the difference, especially if like me, you never left your home town much. The greatest distance as a child was probably sixty or seventy miles away from our home. That was usually just for school clothes, a livestock auction, or to see family in one of the small nearby towns like Huntington or LaGrande. Our idea of a vacation was to be out of school for the summer and that pretty much summed it up. Oh there were the times Dad would occasionally take us on a drive up in the mountains and we would have a picnic and we felt like we were really going somewhere. We were a large family with small means and our ancestors were the same.


This is a photo of the Elkhorn mountains which were the range behind my parents home. I have always loved these mountains and as a child would stare and stare to see if I could see the Native American face.


By Native American face I mean in late December or early January the sun leaves a shadow on this peak that looks like the outline of a Native Americans face. The lore that I heard was that this Native American was the guardian of Baker valley, sort of a deity if you will, and is watching over the valley to keep it safe. I don't know if this is the accurate story but it is one I heard as a child. I very rarely saw it but occasionally my parents would point it out.  Last September when driving to our annual "sisters vacation" with my daughters I could see this range from afar and it just leaves a smile on my heart.



7 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

I am absolutely covered in goosebumps. Absolutely beautiful.

Junebug said...

That is a very cool image. It even looks like feathers below the head. What a view to have!

RecipeGirl said...

Wow- so pretty!

noble pig said...

Oh those mountains! Just beautiful!

Tipper said...

Very pretty pics! When I was growing up we never went on vacations either-once every few years we might travel to family who lived a 100 or so miles away but that was it. As an adult-I do like to go places-but I truly love staying home. Call me boring-but at least I don't spend much money!

"JEANNELLE" said...

Your mountain photos are stunning! Yes, I can see the Native American profile face. Very cool!! I too grew up in a family that took lots of Sunday drives to various spots in Iowa, in lieu of long vacations.

Twinville said...

Beautiful mountains. There are no words.

One of my most favorite songs, by a Christian band called "Kutless" has a song called "Strong Tower".

Your mountain reminds me of this song and speaks to me much as my own Sandia Mountains do, too.