Monday, May 26, 2008

Remembering Lives



I love old cemeteries and have always been fascinated by reading the tombstones for as long as I can remember. There are several old long neglected pioneer cemeteries close to where I grew up. Those seemed to be the most mysterious to me where entire families had passed away all at once probably from some epidemic. I could wander around reading tombstones by the hour. It seems sad to me that these cemeteries have been mostly forgotten and overgrown with weeds and such. I always thought that if I had a lot of money I would spend an enormous amount just restoring and providing routine maintenance in these cemeteries.

The farmer thinks I am strange for this little habit I have formed. I don't really know when I began to do this but it has been for many many years. I love to read obituaries. I note their name, birth date, and where they were born and raised. No matter that I do not know most of these people....it just feels right to honor the memory of these souls in some small way. Someone went to the trouble to sum up this life and it seems important that it be noted.

I am also slightly obsessed with genealogy. Not to the point that I work on it all of the time but I would love to be able to have the time and money to travel and find out more about my family roots. I have quite a bit on my mothers side but my fathers side stops at my grandparents who immigrated to he United States from Hungary in the early 1900's. My grandfather was struck by lightening and killed when my father was only two years old. My grandmother never talked much about her history, not even to her own children. So although my fathers family was quite large my remaining aunts don't seem to know much about it either.

As this memorial holiday weekend winds down I hope everyone took time to honor and remember all of those who have passed.

7 comments:

Junebug said...

Oh, I so agree with you. I love old cemeteries. We live 2/10ths of a mile from our city cemetery and we walk there all the time. It is fun to read and look and I actually think cemeteries are pretty. I wish I could plant flowers there. Or moss or something. :D

Mental P Mama said...

Such a beautiful and peaceful spot.

Tipper said...

I find cemeteries fascinating too. Just thinking of who they were and how their lives were lived out. It is so interesting.

Jill said...

I totally have your love for cemeteries too! Wade thinks I'm morbid, but I can't help wondering about all those lives. As a kid, I was especially curious about the children that had passed away...

Twinville said...

Old cemeteries really are fascinating. My husband enjoys walking through those that date back to the Civil War and I enjoy walking through and admiring some of the unique and beautiful headstone art and epitahs.

There are some really beautiful and park like cemeteries, with very interesting headstones and statuary in Austin, Texas.

Also, nice post for Memorial Day. I posted about our own remembrance of those lost on my Twins Plus One blog. Those who were killed due to DWI.

carrie & troy keiser said...

Good post. Old cemeteries are interesting and so is genealogy.

"JEANNELLE" said...

Yes, I love old cemeteries and genealogy, too. Each is about people who had joys, sorrows, and big and little dramas in their everyday lives, just like we do.